Jugula

1200 BC-1095 AD (Greek & Roman Wars)

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jugula

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:55 am

Just had a first go at the new Gripping Beast game, Jugula. A card driven gladiator combat game.

Each player controls a team of 4 gladiators which you use a special card deck to activate. The cards are split into 3 types, stat cards for the various type of gladiator, some will probably be familiar, Mirmillo, Secutor, Retarius and so on, some won`t.

Action cards with 4 types of action down the side and sometimes a special action, telling you that you can:
Move, usually 1 to 3 gladiators.
Fame, trade a card in to get fame which can give you bonus`s later.
Attack, usually 1 to 3 attacks that can be used by one or more of your team.
Draw, get extra cards from the deck into your hand.

They also give you your attack and defence bonus`s against heavy or light opponents, a dice face used to calculate combat res and possible ability to pick up some of the improved cards which don`t go straiht into your hand, but are added to the Discard pile ready to be shuffled and drawn from when the deck is used.

The game starts fairly quietly with more pushing and shoving than bloodshed but when you start getting bonus`s then you can start doing damage. We played the one game option but there is acampaign system where you can watch your school advance and become the dominant one.

The first few turns confused the hell out of me but even I started to pick it up and it really flowed well. A reasonable price as well, the rule book for £20, a box of 5 VERY NICE gladiators £25 and the card deck for £7.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155877/jugula

http://grippingbeast.com
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Jugula

Postby Frank » Wed May 14, 2014 9:04 am

Alright, so I have no willpower :roll: just put in my share of a club order for five gladiators and the card deck. Have to rely on other people having the rules till I can find the money to get a book as well.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:16 pm

Just played my second game of this and I really enjoyed it. There is a section on the Studio Tomahawk forum for the game with some great pics.

http://www.studiotomahawk.freeforums.or ... s-f36.html

One of the good things about this game is that you don`t need to buy the official figures if you don`t want to, it is played on an 8 x 8 grid so there is no measuring or hassel about base size and shape.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:15 pm

Very cool! This endeavor of yours, in concert with Luca's Circus Maximus game has gotten me totally ravenous to get my Glad on! I'm planning to pick up a Lock 'N Load boardgame that actually combines the two!!!!
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

Return to “Ancients”