Frost Grave

1096-1499 (Crusades, Hundred Years' Road, War of the Roses, etc.)

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Frost Grave

Postby Frank » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:17 pm

A soon to be released game that is getting a lot of interest at the moment is the new one from Osprey publishing, Frostgrave. Another one in their stable of skirmish games, this has a medieval setting and, if I had to make a comparison, it is probably fairly similar in setting and feel to the old GW game, Mordheim.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=195&page=1

You pick a wizard, apprentice and troops from a list of 10 different types, with some of the others being considered friendly to you, some neutral and some opposed. Styles of magic such as Chronomancer, Summoner, Illusionist, Necromancer. It is a campaign style game so you get a chance to grow your band, learn more spells, add new types of henchmen. The wizard picks spells from his own lore, and is permitted to choose a limited amount from aligned and neutral factions so the likelihood of two identical wizards is very small.

The system is D20 based and is supposed to be quite simple, with ten scenarios which enable you to get experience and wealth to grow your band.

Ospreys rules are usually very good, Ronin (the Samurai skirmish game) is one of my all time favourites and Frizzenspark has already posted very favourable reviews of Land Of The Free, their AWI set game, and I will probably be going for this, though I am not sure what faction yet so will probably wait for the rule book to come out on its own and then have a study of that before I decide which way to go. I will probably be able to use some of my Mordheim, WarHammer or Saga figures for this as money is tight at the moment
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Frost Grave

Postby Frank » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Yes, I know I have no willpower but I have managed to restrain myself enough to just pre-order the basic rule book, which comes with six objective markers, this comes in at £15, which I think is quite good for a rule set.

Having had a proper look at the minis that you can order for this I know that my Mordheim stuff will fit in very well, as would pretty much any medieval minis. I could have gone for the next level up which comes with a Wizard and Apprentice but until I have had a proper look I don`t know which lore to go with, as I said in the first post. It is supposed to ship about mid July but it looks like I will be waiting till mid August as I have just been told that it will make an ideal birthday present :roll: .
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 pm

The kickstarter has shipped, as was proved by several of the guys coming to the club Monday night with a package and that happy grin a gamer gets when he has had his new gaming fix.

It does look to be great value. My basic level order has a very nice hardback rulebook and 6 nicely moulded objective tokens. I only had it in my hands for about a minute before it was snatched out of my desperate clutching fingers with the reminder that it will do for my birthday :( . Some great pictures for you to drool over and the scenarios look interesting.

The figures themselves are really good, the wizards are well cast and look great with a real difference between the different types. The plastics have 5 bodies per sprue with loads of different weapon options. they seem at first look to be quite GW influenced, somewhere between their Empire milita and Brettonian peasants.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=195&page=1
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:50 pm

I have had my book for a couple of days now and I really like the look of the game, it does take some carefull thinking about your starting build for a wizard as there are so many builds to choose from.

There are 10 lore`s of magic each with 8 spells and you start by choosing 3 spells from your own lore, 1 each from 3 aligned lore`s and 2 from 5 other neutral ones, giving you 8 in total. You cast spells from your own lore at the basic number, aligned are at a 2 penalty and neutral at 4.

You then have 500 gold crowns to hire your band, an apprentice costs 200, he knows all the spells your wizard does, but not quite as well, he is at a 2 penalty to cast. His basic stats are all wizard -2, so he is fairly good but not quite up to the standard of his teacher. You can pick up to 8 henchmen with varying skills and stats who do not get experience which is quite unusual for this type of game. When a wizard has enough experience to go up a level he can choose to improve a stat or learn a new spell. After your first game you also choose a lair from a list including libraries, taverns, graveyards and so on, all of which can give you some possible boost to your band.

At my local club we have, I think, about 8 or 9 people who have bought the book and so far I think there is only 1 duplication of lore which means it looks like we should have some interesting games ahead.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:16 pm

A game turn is done in phases, first the magician, then the apprentice, then the henchmen, finally any beasts or random encounters. A priority roll is made at the start of each turn with the winner going first in each of the phases. Some of the spells are "out of game" spells, some can be cast before to raise a familiar or construct, some after to get extra experience.

There are usually 6 treasure tokens for each game and you make a roll on a table for each one that you have got off the board to see what each is, results range from gold to valuable artifacts that you can either keep or sell.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:18 pm

Had my first game this Monday and it was confusing at first but I got the idea reasonably quickly thanks to some help from my opponents, I played a Sigilist, not as in your face destructive as some of the builds but should grow quite well in a campaign. I was playing against a Necromancer, a quite nasty build with some good offensive spell and a steal health spell that was useful a couple of times to bring the mage back up to full health, and an Elementalist, a very offensive build that really caused me some problems.

I lost 6 out of my 8 henchmen, mainly because I was trying to see how the game mechanics work (at least thats my story :lol: ), though if we had been using the campaign system then I would only have lost 1 actually dead, 1 missing the next game and everyone else made a full recovery. I also gained enough experience from casting spells and getting treasure tokens off the board to get my mage 2 extra levels which means that I could have chosen to increase any 2 of my stats by 1, made 2 spells 1 easier to cast or any combination.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:11 pm

Wow....this is an amazing game, and amazing thread! I'm honestly blown away with the level of detail in this game. I can really appreciate how addictive this system could be. Following with great interest!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:22 pm

I keep hearing this games' name around the horn....I am trying my best to not listen or look too hard....I need to downsize, not upsize :roll:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Medieval Era”