Ronin

1096-1499 (Crusades, Hundred Years' Road, War of the Roses, etc.)

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ronin

Postby Frank » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:48 am

A game that is really taking off at our club is Ronin, a skirmish game set in fuedal Japan

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/store/r ... 1780968469

I have had an intro game and it plays really well and there are some great mini`s

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=152&page=1

All box`s give you a basic 200 point force which seems to be the size we are playing at the moment., they reckon 6 to 20 figures is all you need, though Perry miniatures also do some very nice mini`s.

I have bought a Bushi force, Samurai with men at arms and am seriously thinking about a bandit force as well,....or Monks,....or Ikko Ikki,or..... :roll:

Combat is interesting, each figure involved gets a combat pool, 2 for lower quality troops, up to 4 for leaders. These let you pick from 2 colour tokens for attack or defence which are chosen in secret then put behind your figure. If you pick the wrong combo you are in serious trouble. You need to use an attack token to attack someone and you can use an extra one to boost your attack and can use a defence token to boost your defence. Wounding hits cause either a stun, minor wound, grievious wound or death depending on a roll and your capabilities go down with each wound.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ronin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Wow...that's very cool! I've played a few feudal Japan era games and it's a fascinating timeframe to play in. Very brutal yet elegant? I'm not sure how to describe the time period other than, always challenging!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 am

You are right about the brutal, we only played the basic rules but the advanced rules have provision for head taking, in fact you can get a blister of "samurai presenting heads to their Daimiyo" from Perry miniatures. :lol:
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:57 pm

The 'brutal' aspect, to me, is what makes these games so different. All war is brutal, but feudal Japan is one of the eras that blows my mind with it's intensity of waging noble war steeped in cultural flavor vs sheer blood-letting.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Medieval Era”