En garde

1500-1815 (English Civil War, American Revolutionary War, French Revolutionary War, Napoleonic War, etc.)

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: En garde

Postby Frank » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:06 am

50th wrote:Not big on "steam punk", I like WWII and modern tech. One played a S.P. tank game at a con, with steam powered tanks vs invader big bugs! Our tanks won, but I think it was close.

I love the whole Steam Punk idea, I grew up on Jules Verne and H G Wells books.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:49 pm

They had two copies of "In Her Majesty's Name" at the local Half Price Books.... the other one was sold..... makes one wonder about the other purchaser.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:52 pm

"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Frank wrote:
50th wrote:Not big on "steam punk", I like WWII and modern tech. One played a S.P. tank game at a con, with steam powered tanks vs invader big bugs! Our tanks won, but I think it was close.

I love the whole Steam Punk idea, I grew up on Jules Verne and H G Wells books.

That's part of the allure for me, as well.... And Sherlock Holmes. But at it's base, steampunk is just friggin' COOL!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:32 am

I've picked up several books from the Osprey Wargames series on the cheap from Amazon:
Dragon Rampant and Lion Rampant - Fantasy and Medieval Miniature Battles.
The Men Who Would Be Kings - Victorian Era Colonial Miniature Battles
En Garde! Skirmish Rules

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Several of our guys have tried Lion/Dragon Rampant and there was talk of a campaign being run that I would have been interested in. I would have able to use some of my Saga minis and a few old GW Brettonians so the cost would have been minimal, that is the good thing about gaming that period, a medieval mini is a medieval mini.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Frank wrote:Several of our guys have tried Lion/Dragon Rampant and there was talk of a campaign being run that I would have been interested in. I would have able to use some of my Saga minis and a few old GW Brettonians so the cost would have been minimal, that is the good thing about gaming that period, a medieval mini is a medieval mini.

Yeah, I've got some stuff lying around that could serve for the Historical or the Fantasy versions. Thes books appear to focus on actions with smaller numbers of troops, which is a blessing for those wishing to just dip theirtoes in.

Return to “Pike & Shot”