Blackwater Gulch: Gangfights in the Wild West

1816-1904 (American Civil War, Spanish-American War, etc.)

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blackwater Gulch: Gangfights in the Wild West

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:12 am

I had a great time trying out the Blackwater Gulch game at the 2015 Origins Game Fair on Friday. I found it very playable, and buckets of blood covered the streets of Blackwater Gulch.

I was informed by the gamemaster that the Miniatures are heavily discounted by the source... and they are! at about three bucks a miniature, they are a bargain. The rules are downloadable for free, but the printed rulebookis only ten bucks.

http://store.gangfightgames.com/blackwater-gulch/

Make sure to check them out!
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:12 pm

I put an order in for two more boxed sets, fore a mere $30 (US) plus six bucks postage, leaving only two more boxed sets to acquire; there also remain some single figures.... I might very well collect all that is available. I've started assembling and painting what I have.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:19 pm

I was delightfully surprised that Gangfight games shipped out my order, very quickly. I ordered it on Friday and will have it on Monday.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Well, you certainly can`t complain about that :D
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:06 pm

Well, there is the fact that I had no time to develop a sense of anticipation.... they're already assembled.

Looking over the site I noticed that they list the quantity in stock. The Wilde's Rangers and the Widowmakers are down to eight each. Hardly surprising; the Wilde's Rangers are a Western themed Army set that has a bonus (and quite lovely) Gatling Gun; The Widowmakers are all attractive females. I would prioritize purchases to include these two sets. The Mexicans and the Tranquility Crew are in the twenties. The remainder appear to have sufficient quantities.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:02 pm

The folks a Gangfight games is creating a supplement to include Monsters, Legendary Creatures, and other things that go bump in the night. Were-creatures, Chupacabras, Jackalopes Sasquatchies.... etc.

Might actually be an interesting supplement, though I tend to dread such deviations..

As a side not my Daughter-in-Law is kicking ass painting up my minis..... will field them soon!

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:35 am

I'm finally able to post some photos of the game I played at this past Origins. Gangfight Games has their official forum as part of the Dakka Dakka websight.

A two against one battle....

Two was not enough, but Doctor Hoo saves the day...

Helping Jen Choi break into the Jailhouse; Doctor Hoo was my Star Player.

A good street level view of the Game table

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:05 pm

I've finally collected the last of the boxed sets for the game; there only remain a few individual figures to collect until they add the new stuff. The forum for Blackwater Gulch is on Dakka Dakka; I've been on with the Game's creator, he seems nice and enthusiastic.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:41 pm

I've taken my first step into Laser-cut MDF buildings I am starting out with a Church... I will slowly add more buildings over time.

ImageImageImageImage

I just found a great blogsite that compares various Western Buildings.
http://wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.co ... r-cut.html

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:05 am

I've made considerable movement within this game; I've acquired three more building for my set-up; I've actually assembled one... and may do the others this weekend.

I curtailed the assembly of the church, since it appeared complex; after assembling one of the lesser buildings, I feel more comfortable proceeding. The kits have separate window frames and door jams; this calls for only a little patience, and the results are quite pleasant.

I plan to demo the game at next year Origins; the demos for the previous convention were well received, and the host of last years games was asked about running more demos. I want to step up and double the demos.... that's why I've been collecting buildings. ;)

The Kickstarter campaign does not seem to be going well, since it met only half its goal. :( :cry:

Return to “Age of Rifles”