Blackwater Gulch: Gangfights in the Wild West

1816-1904 (American Civil War, Spanish-American War, etc.)

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:05 pm

I have come by this game through a backdoor of sorts.... I obtained a free copy of the rules at Gen Con; roughly an 84 page pocket book.... it has been on the back-burner, until recently.... I have picked up several starter sets, discounted, through eBay and Amazon..... I don't know if it is a vanishing game or not.... a twist on the rules adding werewolves/a supernatural element, failed its Kickstarter campaign a few days ago......

The mechanics appear to be simple, robust, and quick-playing. The miniatures are well-sculpted and are either a nod to semi-historic archetype Western persona or parodies of popular movie or television characters..... The miniatures are base on 30mm base (just like those from Reaper Miniatures)

"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blackwater Gulch: Gangfights in the Wild West

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:52 pm

I've picked up five gang starter sets:

Secret Fist - Chinese, Former Rail Workers
Dockside Drifters - Dock workers/Random Western
Tranquility Crew- Firefly parody/Riverboat Crew
Wilde's Rangers- Army w/Gatling Gun
The Clancy Gang- Outlaws/loosely based on O.K. Corral

Each set has five miniatures except for the Wilde's Rangers set which has five miniatures plus a Gatling Gun.....

Through Game Salute on Amazon, I got them for three dollars a miniature; they also sell individual "Hired Gun" miniatures for three dollars as well... Buy two starter sets and two hired guns for thirty six dollars and postage is free.....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Some nice looking minis, and the artwork for the Tranquility Crew looks really good. I love that show and it would translate well to a western setting.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:36 am

The rules are downloadable from the site.... the actual rulebook is small and around eighty pages... the starter sets have a basic rule-sheet included.... I like the "Tranquility Crew" and the "Wilde's Rangers" sets.... The Tranquility crew for obvious reasons, the Wilde's Rangers set because the Gatling gun is an awesome sculpt, though it does need a little clean-up....

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:36 am

Having the rules downloadable is great, so different from some other companies where all they think about is getting as much money out of you as possible. Only 80 or so pages of rules suggests that they want you to just enjoy playing the game rather than getting bogged down with nit-picking as well, which, to me, is what an enjoyable game is all about..
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Corvus Belli's Infinity is also a free dowload.... but the fluff is worth the price... I'm looking at getting started putting together the collection I've put together of the Blackwater Gulch Minis.... I do have quite a backlog of Infinity and FoW miniatures to paint as well......

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:16 am

I completely understand about the fluff, I really like the GW games 40k and Fantasy and a huge part of that is the incredibly detailed setting they have created for them. But starting 40k in 93 and Fantasy in 96 I feel I know the fluff off by heart, enough so that I refuse to play the latest versions of both games as I feel they completely violate all the preceding fluff. The option to just get the rules for these games for free would be a great option for me although that would almost certainly lead to a lot of the youngsters coming into the hobby now just ignoring the background and just concentrating on the mechanics.
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:15 pm

I was involved with 40K before it started.... My Brothers friend was asked to demo it in Ohio.... He passed on shortly after receiving prototype miniatures.... My Brother "inherited" everything including his Missus. I was happiest with 40K version II... I had a great Squat Army, and I was thoroughly immersed in the 40k mythos..... They came out with version III.... I haven't played since....

I dabbled with DBA/HotT shortly after getting out of the Military..... WARGAMES RESEARCH GROUP has some of their classic games available for download.... http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG.net/History/wrg.html WADBAG has published a "guide" to the DBA rules http://www.wadbag.com/DBAGuidePlus/default.asp

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:18 pm

I agree about v2 being the best 40k ruleset, the rules were much more realistic with overwatch, weapon strength modifiers and different speed bands and limited turning for vehicles. I think the problem is that GW decided that WHFB was the "adult" game and 40k was for the younger gamers and it has suffered from a fairly consistent dumbing down ever since.

I sympathise about the Squats, luckily I have never had an army just disappear under me, it`s bad enough when they discontinue a unit you particularly like.

I still love the background to both games though and have enjoyed reading a fair few of the novels, particularly Bill King`s Felix and Gotrek books for WHFB and Dan Abnett`s Gaunts Ghosts and Sandy Mitchell`s Commissar Cain books for 40k. The Cain books are brilliant, think Flashman in a sci fi setting.

The WRG article was interesting, I have never played any of the games mentioned though a guy who came to our club a few times was a keen HOTT player.
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:04 pm

Oddly enough, I had acquired several of the WRG games over time without realizing it. You did notice that many of the games listed are downloadable)

I still have many dog-eared White Dwarfs from this period.... they had an excellent issue about the Squats...

Return to “Age of Rifles”