"Land Of The Free" Early North American Warfare

1816-1904 (American Civil War, Spanish-American War, etc.)

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

"Land Of The Free" Early North American Warfare

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Historical gamers will be very excited to hear that Osprey Publishing is taking pre-orders right now for Land of the Free: Wargames Rules for North America 1754-1815!

Land of the Free

Land of the Free is a new set of wargaming rules from Osprey that allow players to recreate the various conflicts that broke out in North America around the time of it’s Independence. This allows the game to include elements from the French and Indian Wars, the Revolutionary War and even the War of 1812. This format gives players the ability to start their campaigns with small warbands of 10-20 miniatures of any scale (use what you have!) and develop their forces over time, building them into much stronger and larger armies- which is great in case you don’t have hundreds of mini’s right out of the gate!

The book includes:

History of North America – French and Indian War to the War of 1812
Rules
Army Lists
Escalation League
Campaign
Missions
Hobby Guide

The wars mainly covered in this rule-set will be The French and Indian War, The American War of Independence, and The War of 1812. Set for release in early November

Articles featured will be painting guides, battle reports, historical scenarios, scenery design, and army building.

I will have to look into this, since I have a butt-load of 15mm AWI miniatures....

http://www.landofthefreewargaming.blogspot.com/

http://www.beastsofwar.com/historical/r ... ublishing/
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: "Land Of The Free" Early North American Warfare

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Pre-ordered this for a total of $27.08 from Barnes & Noble.... free shipping, but tax brought it up from $25.13.... thirteen cents brought it over twenty-five bucks (qualifying for free shipping.... Amazon has a higher price level to get this discount)..... I purchased via a gift card from my local grocery store which will gain me points for reduced fuel cost at the pump.... a win-win..... :)
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Nice...both on the game and the gas! The rulebook sounds awesome, and I love how it is so expansive in timespan. I look at my old 1776 game from Avalon Hill, and then thsi with miniatures and go, 'Damn!'
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 am

Sounds good, Osprey do some good rulesets.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Land of the Free Wargames Rules for North America 1754–1815. Land of the Free is the set of wargaming rules from Osprey that allow players to recreate the various conflicts that broke out in North America shortly prior to and just after Independence, including the French and Indian Wars, the Revolution and the War of 1812.

This set of rules lets players begin their campaigns with small warbands of 10-20 miniatures of any scale and develop their forces over time, building them into armies hundreds strong. A unique system of command points and the need to carefully manage resources or risk becoming vulnerable to counter-attack have to be finely balanced against the need to gain objectives throughout the game, creating a challenging, but enjoyable environment for your armies. http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2014/11/northstar-miniatures-land-of-free.html

I have found these rules perhaps the best balance of realism and playability..... I have yet to re-base my minis and get playing.... I have bought more Litko bases, and should have things going after Christmas... Being a Postman this time of year leaves little free time.... I have many almost finished minis from about ten years ago...

This is an Osprey publication..... The author Joe Krone is very reachable. I got mine from Barnes and Noble for about $25.13 plus tax..... the extra thirteen cents put it over the twenty-five limit to get me free shipping. :D Amazon has it cheaper but you have to spend $35 to get free shipping..... :geek:

http://www.landofthefreewargaming.blogspot.com/

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:33 pm

Hmmm...I'd like to see some pics of your Litko bases you've mention, including with figures aboard. I thought Litko only made airplane bases.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Age of Rifles”