Archipelago of Gold

1816-1904 (American Civil War, Spanish-American War, etc.)

Moderator: Frizzenspark

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Archipelago of Gold

Postby 50th » Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 am

Archipelago of Gold is a game I invented using Pirates of the Spanish Main (and other expansions) ships for miniatures. I used the treasures and made my own islands and made the whole thing to work on hex map paper. I played this today with my wife. While she is usually not a war-gamer, she has agreed to play this one. Here is a picture at the start:

The islands with our "flag" is our home island where our ships start from, where we have a settlement, and a shipwright to build more ships. One ship is a merchant ship (smaller) and one is a three masted ship of the line (3SOL). The merchant ships are not armed, but carry cargo- the coins you see on the unexplored islands, back to the home island. Once an island has been explored, with an explorer, and the coins loaded up on the merchant ship with the explorer, a settlement can be built there. You get points for ships sunk and ships you build at the end of the game. Also for any treasury you have on hand. I was surprised that my wife started the shooting. She usually likes to play games "cooperatively", but not this time. (Maybe because I was the pirate and she played England.

Here is a photo of a friend's cloth "sea" map that we played on at a convention once:

The arrow shows the direction of the wind. I will post the rules once I update them.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Archipelago of Gold

Postby Frank » Sat May 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Sounds interesting. It is surprising the amount of women who say they prefer a co-op game rather than a combat one and then turn bloodthirsty when they play one :lol:
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat May 13, 2017 11:21 pm

Frank wrote:Sounds interesting. It is surprising the amount of women who say they prefer a co-op game rather than a combat one and then turn bloodthirsty when they play one :lol:

I know, it's uncanny isn't it? She played Memoir '44 only one time when we were dating, and she beat me! (of course I didn't mind, I thought she might play more if she won, but no luck!)
This is the only "wargame" that she will play, (although I talked her into classic battletech once).
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue May 16, 2017 11:33 am

Interesting.. I suspect my Missus will eventually do a Battle style game; She's heavily into the Co-op and Worker Placement games currently.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue May 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Yeah, one worker placement game my wife likes to play is "Lords of Waterdeep". It is the only W.P. style game I own. She also played "Lewis and Clark" at a friend's house once and liked it a lot too.

Return to “Age of Rifles”