Any interest in miniatures games in modern settings?

1989-Present (Post Vietnam)

Moderator: Whiterook

josta59

Any interest in miniatures games in modern settings?

Postby josta59 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:40 am

I'm pretty new to wargaming and have never played with miniatures, but I'm very interested. I'm not a big WWII guy and am really interested in post-Vietnam settings. I'm interested in eventually running my own games here on TCG.

Has anyone here heard of the games Battlefield Evolution (Mongoose, 2007) or Force On Force (Ambush Alley/Osprey, 2009)? I know nothing about them, just found them on BoardGameGeek and they seem to be popular. I would jump at a chance to play them on a forum.

If anyone on this board already has some modern-day miniatures sitting around, maybe we can find some rules and try to get something going. I even have some rules invented for toy soldiers that I'm sure could be used for minis.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Any interest in miniatures games in modern settings?

Postby 50th » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:02 pm

No, I haven't heard of either of those games. Although not really a miniatures game, I used to play Twilight 2000 some years ago. (Like in the late 80's).
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:53 am

I've heard of Battlefield Evolution, and if I remember right, the rule set for it is very straight forward and low complexity. BTW....low complexity does nt necessarily equate to boring! Anyway, if you look at my thread for the Stargate SG-1 miniatures game I'm designing, scroll a few posts down to the Force Recon figures I'm using for the extra SGC teams....they are Battlefield Evolution.

There's also DUST Tactics, though a 'what-if' WWII......viewtopic.php?f=11&t=428

Would you be interested in playing modern Sci-fi?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Yes I would, so I can learn the system. Same reason I'm playing Nuklear Winter, so I'll have an easier time with Heroes of the Gap. Thanks for letting me know--I'll check out that thread!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:23 pm

The Osprey game looked pretty good.... essentially a skirmish game... tanks and other vehicles appear to serve the purpose as something for infantry teams to react to....

I would guess that GDW's Twilight 2000 would serve roughly the same purpose as the Osprey game with the added benefit of role-playing.... I have quite a bit of Twilight 2000..... collected it as well as Traveller when it came out.....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Return to “Modern & War on Terror Era”