Adventure solitaire ideas

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

josta59

Adventure solitaire ideas

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:22 am

Here's my obsession for the weekend, designing a new "adventure solitaire" card game that will please a skirmish enthusiast like me.

The must-haves for me are that you only need one standard deck of playing cards and one or more six-sided dice. There needs to be a terrain card that impacts the outcomes, and there need to be tactical decisions to be made. And there need to be special events (like a combo that produces a "god") that happen approximately once per game.

Safe to say there's probably no game quite like this that exists, so it's up to me to design one. Can it be done?

Here's what I have so far, and I'd be grateful for any input.

Some basic mechanics would be that the first card you draw from the deck is the terrain card, which goes in the center. Then you draw 3 cards that are your adventurers and place them near you, and then 3 cards that are some enemies that go on the other side. Then one or both sides can rearrange for the best possible outcome (this is where the tactical decision making would occur). Then there would be some randomization of the outcome using dice and maybe additional card draws. Finally the combat itself would occur, and captures would be made. The objective would be to capture all (or a certain number of) enemy cards.

Simple enough. So it's sort of like the game "War" but with 3 cards at a time. That wouldn't be nearly interesting enough, of course, but there's lots of room for complexity here.

So here are the questions I plan to think about so far:
  • How does terrain affect combat? What type of fighters are affected by it, and how? There would need to be a terrain table that shows the impact on each card type.
  • When would the terrain card be replaced with a new one? Maybe when an entire enemy squad is wiped out in a combat turn?
  • How will the dice roll affect combat? Would it add weapons, blessings, curses, etc.? And how would that play out?
  • When does one side get to rearrange their cards for the best outcome? Can the other side sometimes rearrange their cards afterward?
  • Can a battle be expanded beyond 3 cards per side? How? Can combat be assymetrical? How and when?
  • When would enemy cards be placed facedown, to add fog of war? Maybe when the terrain card is black, representing darkness?
  • What combination of cards will produce a god-like or demon-like figure approximately once per game? And how would these affect the game? The jokers would probably figure in here.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Adventure solitaire ideas

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:57 am

Another question: When one of your cards is captured, is it replaced immediately, or some time later? What prompts a replacement?
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:30 pm

WOW.

WOW.

OK....

If I were designing this, I think I'd be influenced from DVG 'Warfighter' games, "Up Front", etc...where you need to work down a 'path'. You have a start; you have a randomly determined amount of squares (in this case, cards) to navigate through; and you have an objective point (last card along the path).

Another concept could be laying out a field: Lay out the number cards by random draw, in a square or rectangular pattern, face up. With 10 options for representation, that could get real complicated. The benefit of this is you can grid out X-y axis designations to use with dice for incoming, like Events, or off board artillery...alien landings...what have you.

...just thinking out loud, LOL.

WOW.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:48 pm

I too have seen games like that, and, as you say, they're complicated. Not quite what I'm going for. I want the terrain ahead to be a surprise, not something I can plan for. And I don't want a ton of cards laid out at once. I want all the complexity to be in the combat.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:53 pm

josta59 wrote:I too have seen games like that, and, as you say, they're complicated. Not quite what I'm going for. I want the terrain ahead to be a surprise, not something I can plan for. And I don't want a ton of cards laid out at once. I want all the complexity to be in the combat.

Fair'nuff :D ...and I think that's cool. I'm curious to watch this one develop!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:20 am

I learned today that there's already a variant of War that's similar to what I was thinking of, but far simpler. It's called 5-Man Melee. There are no dice. Each player just draws the top 5 cards in their own deck, arranges them according to their own strategy, and lets them fight. Winning cards return to the winner's deck, while losing cards are discarded. After 5 cards on each side duke it out, you move on to the next 5 cards.

Maybe I should start with a solo version of this game and then add more detail if I'm inspired to. Might make more sense than trying to come up with a complicated game that might not be much fun.

I wish there was a mobile app with this game, since I'm traveling and have no cards. I got an app with solo War this morning, but OMG it's boring.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:19 am

A solitaire game about man to man combat? A dice-rolling app and a simple RPG to portray any scenario you like to try...
Or take a detailed RPG in its simpler form as GURPS LITE... (you have seen it coming, right?). One day I was dead bored waiting in queue and had time to replay in detail the The Magnificent Seven battlee and the Good guysa didn't won. . . :(
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:41 am

I've tried ideas like that. Pretty hard for a smaller brain, lol.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:32 pm

Use a bigger hammer and a sharper chisel...it will work like a charm
;-)
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:26 pm

This 2-person game has promise. Looks more fun than 5-Man Melee. With some work, it might be convertible to a solitaire game.

Twelve Man Combat

I like that it has all the face cards in a pile, representing the actual combatants, but I don't like that they never get flipped over. I think more could be done with this.

Return to “Proving Grounds”