Magnificent Valour Game Creation Blog

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Duncan

Magnificent Valour Game Creation Blog

Postby Duncan » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Way back around 2013 I began working on a project for VPG. It has fallen away a couple times and I have dusted it off to work on it again. The game is called Magnificent Valour and is based on Herman Lutmann's [url="http://www.victorypointgames.com/in-magnificent-style-536.html"]Death or Glory[/url] series. It's a very simple system that creates some nice tension. My game is based on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.

I found the original game light on decision making. I wanted my game to involve the player more in the tactics. I have added some abstract ideas like divisional assets, command points, reinforcements, and a changing map feature. The use of reinforcements was key for me because it allowed me to include the Newfoundland Regiment as it's own counter.

Last night I did a fifth edit on the rules. VPG rules tend to be more cumbersome than necessary and I want to streamline these to eliminate confusion. More re-writing will happen. I have play-test versions of the counters. Pretty ugly but useable for now. I need to create a player aid mat to guide movement and cover the command point options. Here is a map created by Tim Allen a couple years ago. I think it is pretty much in its final version now.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Magnificent Valour Game Creation Blog

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:55 pm

First of all...LOVE LOVE LOVE the map! It captures the battlefield feel and mood all in one. Nice!

I love the idea of Command Points, which is an oft overlooked component in so many games... If I assume correctly, it'll keep options and actions at bay, forcing a commander to choose wisely their expenditure?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Duncan

Re: Magnificent Valour Game Creation Blog

Postby Duncan » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:13 pm

The map is by Tim Allen.
VPG is still interested in the project. There is another game from this series ahead of me, which will get worked on after Consim World Expo. That's in June/July. So I think that'll be guide for goal setting.

Return to “Proving Grounds”