PLAYTEST: Naval Miniatures Game

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

PLAYTEST: Naval Miniatures Game

Postby Whiterook » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:32 pm

I was asked to playtest a new game being developed by one of our members. It's a WWII naval miniatures game, and I am using Axis & Allies: War at Sea naval miniatures (AANM). I made a felt hexmap to play upon, with 3" hexes (not the greatest, but it'll do for trying this game out...as well as AANM minis on a hex map). Playing time on it, I now feel 4" hexes are more amenable to AANM.

image.jpg

NOTE: I won't be sharing any of the game mechanics, or game cards, etc., as this is not in-print. I thought you'd get a kick out of seeing the action, nevertheless.

Tonight, I went with a basic scenario, which is an all-out brawl. Simple enough premise...first one to sink all opponent ships ends the game and then total's the Victory Points.

This involves the United States Navy:
USS Laffey (DD-724), Allen M. Sumner Class Destroyer
USS Barton (DD-722), Allen M. Sumner Class Destroyer
USS Cleveland (CL-55), Cleveland Class Light Cruiser
USS Atlanta (CL-51), Atlanta Class Antiaircraft Cruiser
USS Boise (CL-47), Brooklyn Class Light Cruiser

...vs. the Imperial Japanese Navy:
Akitsuki, Akitsuki Class Destroyer
Yukikaze, Kagero Class Destroyer
Jintsu, Sendai Class light Cruiser
Yahagi, Agano Class Light Cruiser
...and special guest star...
Karlsruhe, Konigsberg Class Light Cruiser of the German Navy, sent to Japan on a diplomatic mission and scrambled with the small Japanese task force to observe and participate (in other words, I wanted another light cruiser for Japan but didn't have another mini!)

Starting position at opposite ends of the board....

image.jpg
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PLAYTEST: On Shining Seas

Postby Whiterook » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:41 pm

The USN destroyer, USS Laffey, and cruiser, Cleveland made a foray out; and the IJN Jintsu and German Karlsruhe Light cruisers bring their powerful guns up to the battleline being formed!

image.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:08 pm

IJN Jintsu is ablaze and sinking from the big guns of the US Navy's cruiser, USS Cleveland, who brought everything to bear on the Japanese cruiser. Meanwhile, IJN destroyer, Akitsuki is laying a smoke screen, just as she see's her sister ship go up in a ball of flames.

image.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:42 pm

USS Laffey shot torpedos, which made it to the intended target ...the IJN cruise Jahagi, landing one fish in her belly (out of three torps shot). Laffey is now out of torps, but she's still dangerous!

Meanwhile, the cruiser USS Boise mauls the IJN's destroyer Akitsuki and sinks her; and also sends 3 torpedos at Germany's Karlsruhe!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:54 pm

This was a brutally fought game! :shock: In this view, Germany's Karlsruhe goes ablaze from the Boise's relentless guns; and the torps that were heading for the German cruisers' waterline had nothing to hit anymore, so they went after a school of sharks! To add insult to injury, the Boise had steamed all ahead full and the torpedos heading for her hit a squid!

image.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:05 am

USS Boise (sitting near the sunk IJN destroyer) and the Yahagi went at it through two brutal rounds: Yahagi lost and went up in flames...but not before dealing a near crippling blow to USS Boise, who was limping bad after the tangle. The Japanese were now down to one lonely destroyer, and the Americans still had a crusier and destroyer that hadn't even entered play yet!

....so the battle was hopeless for the Japanese, which opted to retreat her lone destroyer to fight another day!

image.jpg

image.jpg

The United States Navy wins the day with over double the Victory Points!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PLAYTEST: Naval Miniatures Game

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:00 pm

A little post report: The game highlighted in this thread took 3 hours to play out, and only represents breaks in the ation. I have to say that I REALLY enjoyed playing AANM on a hex map, and I felt it made movement a little more reaslitic (and less abstract) than on the Axis & Allies: War at Sea paper maps.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Battle 2: "Bombardment" scenario

image.jpg
"Bombardment" Scenario Start Map

Japanese force must make their way to the island on the last hexrow of the USN side of the map and try to earn 6-VP's of bombardment damage. Ships involved: Cruisers "Yahagi" and "Jintsu", with destroyers "Akitsuki" and "Yukikaze".
Victory Conditions:
  • OUTRIGHT - All 6 Bombardment VP's; 1 USN Ship sunk; all IJN ships return to port (their side of the map).
  • CLEAR - All 6 Bombardment VP's; all IJN Ships return to their side of the map.
  • More VP's than USN; 1 ship returns to port.

image.jpg
IJN force

United States Navy defends he island. Ships Involved: Cruiser "Cleveland", with destroyers "Laffey" and "Barton".
Victory Conditions:
  • OUTRIGHT - All IJN Ships sunk; no bpmbardment VPs; no USN Ships sunk.
  • CLEAR - All IJN Ships sunk; 1 USN ship returns to port
  • More VP's than IJN; 1 IJN Ship sunk.

image.jpg
USN Force

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:42 pm

Technically, I believe there were only supposed to be two ships each side, but no distinction of whether they were one type ot th other. Also, I figured with the islands as obstacles, the USN might be more challenging under-represented.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:54 pm

The Japanese Cruiser, Yahagi (bottom of picture) is sneaking around the outer islands to come in for a bombardment attack of the Target Island; having provided a nice feint of drawing the USN forses out to chllenge the IJN task force that was prviously heading dead on!

The USN Cruiser Cleveland and destroyer Barton at the top of the map can do little about Yahagi anytime soon, as they are about to get a snout full IJN Cruiser Jintsu and Destroyer Yakukazes lead!!!

image.jpg

Return to “Proving Grounds”