Boat Battle, a card game

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

josta59

Boat Battle, a card game

Postby josta59 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Never been interested in boat games, but this week I got a manga book from Amazon called Black Lagoon about mercenaries on the high seas. I got inspired.

My game Showers of Blood has been playtesting so well and is so fun that I got to thinking about a boat version. Since there's no cover and not a lot of maneuvering options, I realized it could be so simple that two could play such a game with a standard deck of cards. And I could add boarding of enemy boats for extra fun. So I worked on that today and came up with this:
Boat Battle.docx
(17.28 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

I haven't playtested it, and I don't know for sure if the numbers will work out really well. Since I've gone from using a die with a 1-6 range to cards ranging from 2 to ace, some adjustments were necessary, and I won't know how well it works until I try it. So it's a work in progress.

I've also been thinking about a version of SoB that would be about business and/or hacking. Haven't come up with a good idea for that yet.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Boat Battle, a card game

Postby josta59 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:25 am

Made some updates based on a little playtesting:
  • Increased the number of strength points for boats to 25-50 to make the boats last a little longer.
  • Increased the result modifiers considerably to make the stakes of combat more exciting. This will encourage close-up combat, and therefore boarding actions, a great deal.
  • Added more results of boarding actions in terms of SPs, an oversight in the original draft.
  • Added a way to overcome extremely strong sailors during boarding; otherwise one ace card could've won a battle all by him/herself.

Boat Battle.docx
Version 2
(17.53 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

I'm sure my wife is tired of playtesting my silly games with me, but I don't know how to play a card game like this in a forum. I think it would get endlessly bogged down, and fast play is a feature of the game. Oh, the little problems of game designers. I never asked for this. It's like a curse. :lol:
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:29 pm

So the boats are abstract pieces that are just *there*? You're keeping track of how many boats are in *play* (not physically represented by miniatures or chits) and are conducting battle of attrition? Just trying to get the concept in my head. A pen & paper game, but card driven?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:39 am

Haven't thought about this since June, but I think you got it right. I haven't put any thought into it since then because playtesting it alone didn't appeal to me, and my wife wasn't interested.

Return to “Proving Grounds”