Simple Chanceless Tactical Wargame

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

josta59

Simple Chanceless Tactical Wargame

Postby josta59 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Tonight I started thinking about how to design a simple wargame that is pure tactics, no chance involved. I want my kids to be able to play it, so it needs to be simple and fun. And since it's pure tactics, it's bound to be good for their brains.

I want to put down my rudimentary thoughts to get some feedback, and I'll add more ideas as they come to me. Also needs a name.

Figures (e.g., chess piece) represent a soldier, squad, tank, plane, boat, etc.

Movement:
Players take turns moving half their available units each turn.
Small scale: Movement is 2 handspans and range is limitless.
Large scale: Movement is the length of an index finger, fire range is 2 handspans.
Huge scale: Movement is one space orthogonally or diagonally on a chess board.

Attacking:
Any unit with LOS (and in range) may attack once per turn.
Objects (or marked squares on a chess board) may block LOS.
Each figure has a stack of 10 coins representing hit points.
All attacks cost at least 1 coin, accounting for counterattacks and fatigue.
Attacking a figure with an equal number of coins removes 2 of the target’s coins at a cost of 1 (see matrix).
Attacking a figure with half or fewer coins removes 3 of the target’s at a cost of 1.
Attacking a figure with twice as many coins removes 1 of the target’s at a cost of 2.
Attacking a figure with more but fewer than twice as many coins removes 1 of the target’s at a cost of 1.

Attacker A attacks defender D:
Simple rules matrix.jpg

Terrain modifiers:
A figure attacking from rough ground or attacked in rough ground gets a result of -2 reduced to -1.

Advanced rules:
Different types of figures represent different types of units (e.g., infantry, tanks, artillery, etc.) with different range of fire and different susceptibilities to damage, decided by the players.

Leaders: Players may move half available units plus all units within a handspan (small scale) or knuckle (large scale) of a leader figure (e.g., the king).

Armor save: After every attack, roll 1d6 for the defender. A roll of 5 or 6 saves 1 coin for the defender only.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Simple Chanceless Tactical Wargame

Postby josta59 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:08 am

Playtesting has been fun tonight. The game would definitely be more fun head-to-head, of course. It's my best game design yet, which isn't saying much.

I think the matrix needs some small adjustments, which I didn't realize until my game was nearly over. But I think the basic concept is solid.

You definitely have to use markers to reflect movement and firing, or you'll get lost very fast.

I started with identical forces, and things got interesting when I ended up with more units on one side, but they were at half strength, vs a smaller but stronger force. It got lop-sided quickly, which made it interesting.

I'd post a picture, but it's just chess pieces, coins, and random objects on my dinner table. Not much point.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:21 pm

I like the exhaustion concept with the coins...simple and elegant. I've never seen the use of fingers and knuckles as measuring parameters....interesting....I can see that as a good mechanic for kids, and would think that brings a great elements fun and amusement to them.

I gravitated to the Leaders, and would like to see that explored more in-depth. Again, as a learning tool, I think that brings invaluable lessons in structure and the price of leadership.

Do you have Firegroups built into the system?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:25 am

Heh, I've had different threads in different places at different times as my thoughts have evolved. This is a pretty early post with concepts that became part of Showers of Blood.

To answer the question, yes...sort of. I've played SoB various ways. It's a flexible system, and you can decide prior to a game whether units will represent individual soldiers or teams. I've posted AARs doing it both ways. Both were very fun. When playing man-to-man, there's no mechanic tying them together. But it sure helps to play them as teams, as in real life.

Return to “Proving Grounds”