Battlestar Galactica Miniatures Game

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Battlestar Galactica Miniatures Game

Postby 50th » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Sounds great Em. I've been there, made up a space combat game way back in the early 80's and have play-tested it for years. I want to publish it, but not sure what the first step would be, or if it would be better to copyright and send to game publishers. My game has small one to four man ships fighting for control of the moon! I just have cardboard chits with my ships hand drawn on them. But in all these years, I've even come up with an expansion and play-tested it too!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:21 pm

50th wrote:Sounds great Em. I've been there, made up a space combat game way back in the early 80's and have play-tested it for years. I want to publish it, but not sure what the first step would be, or if it would be better to copyright and send to game publishers. My game has small one to four man ships fighting for control of the moon! I just have cardboard chits with my ships hand drawn on them. But in all these years, I've even come up with an expansion and play-tested it too!

Technically, it seems a copyright may not be totally necessary, however.....it seems to cost way less than $50 to copyright it. I'm researching it....I'll let you know what I find out.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

atlantis27

Postby atlantis27 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi!,

Can you tell me where did you bought the vipers and cylon ships?, please, tell me the size.

Thanks!
Goodbye.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:45 pm

atlantis27 wrote:Hi!,

Can you tell me where did you bought the vipers and cylon ships?, please, tell me the size.

Thanks!
Goodbye.

Hey there Atlantis27!

The metal fighters: Colonial Vipers, Raptors; and the Cylon Raiders, heavy Raiders and Bombers; as well as the Cylon capital ships (Y-star and Spike-star basestars_ are all from Studio Bergstrom.....

• Cylon basestars....http://studiobergstrom.com/index.php?categoryID=57 (which they call their "Zylon" line). 4-inch miniatures "Titan"; 2-1/8 inch "X-Ship Cruiser"; 2-3/8 inch "Octopi Destroyer"; 2-7/8 inch "Mega Heavy Battleship". My game calls these something different.

Excellent quality miniatures, requiring very little cleaning of mold lines or flash. The detail is excellent, as well! If you buy some, mention you saw them here on Tin Can General!

BTW....the stands are from Studio Bergstrom and are excellent, as well.

The Colonials are harder to get...all made of resin, requiring cleaning of mold lines, some filing, and assembly. Most of them are not available anymore. but they did make some new versions that are not show-canon. My guess is some lawyers got after their tails and made them discontinue selling them, which would be a shame if that's the fact. Heck, they promote the show for free! Anyway, I got them from Ravenstar Studios....http://www.ravenstarstudios.com/

To be honest, I've bought a couple more pieces from Ravenstar Studios but they still haven't arrived. From this point on, I'll likely cast my own miniatures for the most part, and fill in the fighters with Studio Bergstrom.

markhorne

Postby markhorne » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:16 pm

God I love this...

Those minis are so cheap too. How long u reckon it took total to paint them all up?

And is it just the copyright holding up the rulebook? Cos I want one :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:27 pm

markhorne wrote:God I love this...

Those minis are so cheap too. How long u reckon it took total to paint them all up?

And is it just the copyright holding up the rulebook? Cos I want one :D

Thanks! :D

The miniatures took likely a couple weeks...I used the old assembly line method: build, prime, paint, seal in large groups. The white wipers were the hardest, surprisingly.

The copyright issue was indeed the main factor to derail things. However, well into the project, I realized this could be much bigger than I'd planned, and outside of the BSG realm. That this system could be played with any ship line. So....

I re-invented the whole system and stripped out the BSG references. Artwork is a hurdle I need to leap over, and am currently working on the advanced rules.

Now beyond that, I decided to write a Sci-fi novel in that new realm...it has it's own name, own characters that fly these ships, and own canon. It is currently up to near 18,000 words and the sh!t is only now hitting the fan in the story! The plan is a series; and each book have scenarios that tie into the 'sister' rules system/book. I am aiming for self-publishing the initial novel on Amazon.com as an e-book by next Fall. I haven't decided on the rulebook...but I'll hold a signed copy aside for 'ya! :D

markhorne

Postby markhorne » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:51 am

Excellent, thanks :). It's possible freelancer.com might have a cheap artist near you.. Interesting how it ended up being the genesis of a bigger project. I hope it's even more complex than Traveller was, I loved that game, dozens of booklets on every subject. Looking forward to rolling up a mercenary space trucker and his npc crew :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:54 am

For me,on the artwork, it's just a matter of time, exhaustion, and getting off my butt :lol: My degree is in Fine Art :shock:

Heruca

Postby Heruca » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:21 am

Whiterook, what ever came of this? Did you ever publish your BSG system?

I was going to design my own BSG system, but then stumbled across this. Had you ever seen that?

Heruca

Postby Heruca » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:29 am

By the way, back in 2006, I tried doing something along the same lines as you, but in a strictly digital format, since I would never be able to acquire BSG model ships where I live. Have a gander at the screenshots I posted.

Return to “Proving Grounds”