New wargame for your phone or tablet

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

josta59

New wargame for your phone or tablet

Postby josta59 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:35 am

This was not something I'd planned, but sometimes the best results come from unplanned happenings. My wife had her thyroid removed last week (she's doing great), and as I waited I started scouring the Web for solo strategic wargames I could play without a board, counters, or figures. After two hours of searching I found nothing. I consulted members of another forum (simply because it's more active than this one) and got enough spark to suddenly begin designing my own game. The ideas starting rolling in like an avalanche, and by the weekend I had a full set of rules with diagrams.

So now a strategic wargame does exist that you can play with just a notes app and a dice app on your smartphone or tablet. I call it Smartphone WWIII. The theme is Soviet armor rolling across West Germany in a hypothetical Cold-War-goes-hot scenario, but you could easily change it to WWII if desired.

Here's my first draft of the rules. I will gladly take feedback, as I want these rules to be as good as they can. I have no plans for them except to play the game myself and hope a few other people try it.

Smartphone WWIII.docx
(394.14 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: New wargame for your phone or tablet

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:20 pm

I've played this game as NATO and as the Soviets (they have very different goals), and though I haven't won yet, I find it very fun on both sides. I think it might even be balanced! I'm pretty pleased with myself. Didn't think I had it in me. I'll post an AAR soon.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New wargame for your phone or tablet

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:48 am

This is pretty cool stuff! I like the 'thinking out of the box' behind all this. I generally try to keep something with me when I travel, but a lot of what I've found out there is WWII specific. If not on an iPhone or iPad, then I have a small print and play game that fits in my carryon nicely.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Proving Grounds”