Stargate SG1 Miniatures Game Fast Play Rules

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Over the next few days, I am going to be playtesting the following rules that I put together over the past two nights for:

NOTE THAT THIS IS A DRAFT - the final version will be posted in the Quaonset Hut after some playtesting

Stargate SG1 Miniatures Game Fast Play Rules.pdf
(212.05 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stargate SG1 Miniatures Game Fast Play Rules

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:19 am

Looking over the rules with a fresh perspective this morning. Didn't get too far in before seeing my first amendment needed: I need to identify 'Command Range' of Leaders.....

I think I'll go with 2" center to center of figure bases. I could go with base edge, but center points seem more realistic a choice to me. Thoughts welcome.

Of course this brings up a bigger question in the design: I have a unit (sans Leader) getting a +1 drm to their Activation die roll (basically, increasing the Experience rating by 1 for that individual unit, individual Activation attempt. It only makes sense to me that a Squad being in command of a Leader will have a slight edge in being that much more aware (activation) than a Squad on their own at that moment in time. Thoughts?

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:45 am

Next clarifications:

On the Movement & Action Table -
1. Change the table name to 'Movement & Fire Action Table'
2. OVERWATCH: units can only Opportunity Fire
3. Clarify the Effect column for Go to Ground as being a Fire action, needing a 6 roll to hit
4. Clarify the Combat section by adding at the end of the intro verbiage (prior to the attack combat formula): 'To engage in combat, the attacker will...'

Looking at the attack and defense modifiers, I'll have to see how it plays to determine if te factors are feasible. For defenders being attacked even by an Elite Squad, stone buildings may equate to impossible to hit the defender? We'll see. This could be feasible, considering the defender is likely not showing body area TO be hit!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:46 am

Is anyone out there?????

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:06 pm

Not sure what happened but I can only download the first page of this.

It does make sense, units with a leader being more aware of what is going on.

Not to sure about going from the centre of a base for the command distance, could just be because every game I have played has been edge to edge and it just seems weird, though as you say it would be more realistic going from person to person rather than the bit of ground they are standing on, I do think that edge to edge does make things simpler to actually measure though.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:13 am

Actually mate, there is no second page : /

This is just a draft thus far, and created on MicroSoft Excel of all things; and that program can be glitchy....the darn thing had 4 blank pages, and I just got too tired to deal with it any further the night te save was made.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:18 am

Missed this earlier. I'll look later, but how is it different from the FUBAR version? I'm interested in the features that were important to you that weren't covered in that version.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:18 pm

josta59 wrote:Missed this earlier. I'll look later, but how is it different from the FUBAR version? I'm interested in the features that were important to you that weren't covered in that version.

Oh goodness...there's a question! You asked for it! :lol: :shock: :lol: Off the top f my head, these are the differences between the FUBAR one-pager rules and this system:

- Excluded the ‘unmodified roll convention’ for die 1 and 6. I see this as fluff.

- Eliminated the concept of ‘Force Supplement’…SGC works in Teams, as do Special Ops like Seals.

- Elimination of 3” ZOC (Zone of Control)…SGC Teams have communication devices for C2 with their commanders and squad leaders. Instead, I adopted a Leader ZOC of 2” to Leaders for verbal and visual cues; and a 2” ZOC drill down to team members. I think this better highlights the use of hand signals, which is generally the preferred comm method in small unit battles.

- Eliminated FUBAR’s Unit Training/Experience table, and replaced it with my Squad/Leader Experience Table:
  • Eliminates FUBAR’s the ‘Suppress’ and ‘Expertise’ columns;
  • Keeps ‘Activation’ mechanic, but Adds Rally Roll to better define the Rally process to a cleaner mechanic in my view; and changes to FUBAR concept of Expertise to ‘Experience’ (in a new column), which speaks to the fact that expertise I a result of experience;
  • The whole concept of Suppressing has been re-worked;
  • The table eliminates the ‘Seasoned’ level used on FUBAR’s…It makes no sense to me to have a Seasoned and a Veteran unit, as these qualities are virtually the same;
  • Addition of a ‘Leader’ level on my table, which elevates the importance of Leaders in my version;
  • Also adjusts the rankings accordingly.

- Initiative has been redefined and simplified:
  • Eliminating scenario modifiers (I don’t like it);
  • Changes activation sequence to players counterclockwise, rather than by highest to highest roll;
  • Eliminates the use of the leaders activation rating instead of the units’ own (I don’t like it).

- Addition of 3 Phases in a turn, starting with the ‘Rally, Activation, and Movement Phase’:
  • Players in initiative sequence start with rallying suppressed units;
  • Then into the Activation sequence and actions, starting with Movement;
  • …of which combat is now integrated in the movement or non-movement of units;
  • Elimination or tweaking of the FUBAR systems of:
  • ‘Duck & Weave’, which I find it a bit implausible to ‘weave’ with a 28mm miniature;

‘On Guard’, which sounds to swashbuckly to me; and
  • ‘Aimed Fire’, which is too generic for my tastes. The on Guard mechanic is too cumbersome for me, especially with the withdrawl component, in which I feel should be more a command decision than a resultant action. Also eliminates result effects from 50% casualty suffer…
  • …and replace with ‘Evade, Overwatch, and Fire’, with more emphasis on kinds of fire, and also Rally.

- Casualties was ill-defined and I chopped it out. You get suppressed or you die, period.

- Eliminated the ‘..if some are in cover 2’’ thing’…doesn’t make sense that you can’t be shot in the ass if your head is in the sand.

- Added ‘Combat Phase’.

- Eliminated the requirement to place a figure on its side to show suppression…that just seems too grade-school to me. I’ll use suppression markers, instead:
  • Eliminated the penalty to activation for suppressed units…you either rally or remain suppressed. The rally roll is a separate mechanic to activation;
  • Eliminated maximum number of suppressed units.

- Changes some of the terrain to reflect that more applicable to SGC missions.

- Since the game deals with infantry exclusively, the TEC does not impact or impede movement.

- Eliminated 8’ maximum move rate on Assaulting, and 3” engagement rule, and….
  • Changed simultaneous assault resolution method;
  • Effects of suppression;
  • Added forced withdrawal mechanic.

- Changed weapons and armor to reflect those in the Stargate Universe:
  • Adjusted Range and Firepower factors;
  • Combined support and non-support weapons into one table;

- Added ‘Victory Determination Phase’.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Version 2.....

Stargate SG1 Miniatures Game DRAFT v2.pdf
(351.2 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Wow, thanks. I can see you've put a lot of thought and experience into this, and you've got me interested. Assuming this can be used for modern-type skirmishes, I'll have to consider using your rules instead of FUBAR for my upcoming campaign. I assume that's ok with you.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Return to “Proving Grounds”