Stargate Evolutions Miniatures Game

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

josta59

Re: Stargate Evolutions Miniatures Game

Postby josta59 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Whiterook wrote:The game system is the tricky bit. Unlike my Battlestar Galactica game, where I developed specific rules (with influences from other systems), this Stargate game will likely play with an already developed system: The leaders so far are Battlefield Evolution: Modern Combat; FUBAR, which I've already started adapting thier Quick Format rules; or FiveCores' skirmish rules. Some outside candidates include: Dust Warfare; Bolt Action; and Axis & Allies Minaitures.

If you want my input, I'd vote against FUBAR. I had trouble with it in practice. It has an activation mechanism that I find annoying.

My vote would be FiveCore, simply because it's the only other one I've used. Which could be helpful, since there would be a lot less learning involved, at least for one of the players.

Of course, there's always my new one-page set of rules...but it might not be to everyone's taste.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:16 pm

josta59 wrote:
Whiterook wrote:The game system is the tricky bit. Unlike my Battlestar Galactica game, where I developed specific rules (with influences from other systems), this Stargate game will likely play with an already developed system: The leaders so far are Battlefield Evolution: Modern Combat; FUBAR, which I've already started adapting thier Quick Format rules; or FiveCores' skirmish rules. Some outside candidates include: Dust Warfare; Bolt Action; and Axis & Allies Minaitures.

If you want my input, I'd vote against FUBAR. I had trouble with it in practice. It has an activation mechanism that I find annoying.

My vote would be FiveCore, simply because it's the only other one I've used. Which could be helpful, since there would be a lot less learning involved, at least for one of the players.

Of course, there's always my new one-page set of rules...but it might not be to everyone's taste.

The only way I'd go with FUBAR is the quick rules version I did, but it's not at the top of the list.

And I agree on FiveCores skirmish rules....mainly because I like the way that system handles its victory points system, which for those not familiar with the system, provides bonus points to the outnumbered or out gunned force. I like that in terms of this Stargate game, where the missions are generally exploratory/science team oriented, with military only as protection. It just happens our explorers are always being hammered by nasties!

So what I am saying is, FiveCore fits the 'battles' side (and is also more cinematic) of the game in hand, better than a system dependent on the 'Buying Armies' method, as seen in Modern Combat, where each 'unit' of models (e.g., squad of 6 soldiers) has a points value that you add to a specific ceiling count to achieve your battle force.

I'll start separate threads in the Wargame Design WorkShop on specific rules choices, where we discuss further. So far, FiveCore is answering to more of what this particular game action is looking for, so go to the following to comment on that choice...
http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&p=26066&sid=3f03126e0b0d4d0c8ff825e0ceaba9e7&sid=3f03126e0b0d4d0c8ff825e0ceaba9e7#p26066
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:46 pm

The Stargate will naturally allow transport into and out of the game, as most of the scenarios will deal with SGC (Stargate Command) teams 'gating' into and out of the various worlds. (The Goa'uld of course, use these too!) But, we need a crucial piece of alien tech to get them away and back, and that's where the D.H.D. (Dial Home Device) comes in!

DHD.jpg
Dial Home Device (DHD)
DHD.jpg (61.52 KiB) Viewed 61 times

Made also by Phoenix, I was lucky in scoring one of these bad boys from a UK dealer. It's in 28mm pewter.

Constructed by the Ancients, all D.H.D (at all Stargates) have 39 symbols on them, 38 that are used to designate the destination gate, plus one extra symbol known as the point of origin, allowing the user to "dial" any desired destination. Despite the advanced technology, the device has a limited power supply.

Unlike the dialing computer, the D.H.D. does not require the inner track of the Stargate to unlock and spin in order to establish a wormhole. Instead, it is capable of "quick dialing," where pressing the seven glyphs on the D.H.D. are all that are needed to open a gateway.

In case of an overload, the Master Control Crystal can be removed and reinstalled. If a pattern was held in the memory buffer without being reintegrated by the receiving gate, this process will allow the person or item to complete the reintegration process. Periodically, the D.H.D. initiates a correlative update program, in which it automatically dials several nearby Stargates and transmits to their D.H.D.s revised coordinate data, in order compensate for stellar drift and to maintain the uniformity of the system software.

In the Pegasus Galaxy, not all Stargates require a D.H.D. to operate: Space-based gates are powered instead by three power nodes, and dialing is accessed by a panel on spaceships capable of travelling through the gate, such as puddle jumpers and Wraith darts. D.H.D.s on planets there, however, are very similar to the ones in the Milky Way galaxy, but with a blue button in the center instead of a red.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:02 pm

I plan to put together a nice Stargate platform in the future, but for now I made a quick one out of air dry clay, painted with craft paint Acrylics. It's no purty, but it does the job!

20090906_3.JPG
Stargate Platform, unfinished

20090919_12.JPG
Stargate Platform, angle 1

For a tutorial on how I constructed the platform, go to...
http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2658&sid=01ceef57e0f65e7bdcc030c54396dce1

Later on in this project, I also plan to figure out how to make some M.A.L.P.'s....

MALP.jpg
M.A.L.P.
MALP.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 59 times

The Mobile Analytic Laboratory Probe, or M.A.L.P., is a reconnaissance probe employed by Stargate Command and the Atlantis expedition to determine the conditions on the other side of an active wormhole before sending a team through, in order to make sure it's safe. This function was originally held by the F.R.E.D., but the M.A.L.P. was designed with far superior scanning and analytical equipment, allowing it to take a much more thorough reading of a planet.

The M.A.L.P. is a remote-controlled drone with a variety of instruments to determine the safety of travel through the Stargate. It can monitor atmospheric conditions to make sure humans can survive on the other side. It can also transmit audio and video to make sure the area is clear of any potential hostiles, as well as confirming the presence of a functioning Dial Home Device so the team can return. (SG1: "Entity", "Revisions")

The Tau'ri have used two different types of M.A.L.P.s. The first kind, the Mark I, is a small, tread-equipped vehicle with a short grappler arm. This version was used during the first mission to Abydos, as well as during the first three years after the formation of Stargate Command. The second kind, the Mark II, is much larger, has a longer grappler arm, and uses conventional wheels (three on each side) as opposed to treads. It is somewhat more unwieldy than the Mark 1, but tougher. Mark I is were eventually phased out in favor of this model, though both were used at the same time during the transition.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:30 pm

Of course, the star of our show is the SG-1 team themselves!

I picked up a pack of the team from Phoenix Miniatures, which are in 28mm pewter. These are beautifully sculpted in pewter and really resemble the cast characters of the show extremely well....

DSC01562.JPG
Miniatures in vacuform packaging

s441289150492351806_p15_i1_w600.jpeg
The SG-1 Team!!!
s441289150492351806_p15_i1_w600.jpeg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Top row, (left to right) is Samantha Carter, and Cameron Mitchell (Jack's replacement in latter episodes.

Bottom row (left to right) is Dr. Daniel Jackson and Col. Jack O'Neill

Center is Teal'c

I've got a base coat on them but that's as far as I got with them.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Hopefully I will get round to looking at the rules that you mailed me this weekend.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Proving Grounds”