Showers of Blood 1-page rules for miniatures

Project Development Area for Member-designed Wargames & Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

josta59

Showers of Blood 1-page rules for miniatures

Postby josta59 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:25 pm

Ok, here it is, the culmination of all my work since February. You've probably heard me talk about Showers of Blood before. Until this month it was just a hex-and-counter board game. Now my labor of love has evolved into a miniatures game for WWII, modern, and sci-fi, and I was able to fit it all on an 8.5" x 11" sheet. With only one table, it's even shorter and simpler than FUBAR, thanks to plenty of abstracting.

If you're wondering if such a simple game can actually be worth playing, check out my playtest including full squads, support weapons, and AFVs at this link: http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1878&sid=2220c193e764366dd1a9a238e9da6ce7

And if you're wondering how this game might improve on FUBAR while being even shorter and simpler, check out my thoughts here: http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1822&p=19921&sid=2220c193e764366dd1a9a238e9da6ce7&sid=2220c193e764366dd1a9a238e9da6ce7#p19921

This is a first draft, so please feel free to critique it. I don't plan to sell it, but I want it to be good. Feel free to share with friends, too. It will live at this thread (this forum deserves it), and any revisions will be posted here.

Enjoy!

Showers of Blood 1-page Miniatures Rules.pdf
(97.85 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Showers of Blood 1-page rules for miniatures

Postby Whiterook » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:32 pm

At first glance, and based on what you've shown us here on the forum, I really think you have something special here! I'm working this into my playlist!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks bud, this is the one game design I've been really happy with. I've had great fun playing it with and without hexes and with various scales and settings. It just works for me.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:43 pm

Since this got a lot of downloads, I thought I'd give an update. I'm working now on a very similar system, but it's different enough that the name Showers of Blood doesn't seem right for it.

Instead of combat reducing strength points to a possible zero, now friction points are added indefinitely so that units become more and more useless instead of being removed. And friction points can be removed so that units may return to combat.

As such, these new rules could be used for any small-scale game, from westerns to historical skirmishes to magical fantasy. Noncombat actions can also add friction points, so in theory a game could be played without any combat, just by managing friction points.

More to come after I've done some testing. I'd like a good name..."High Friction" is my working title.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:07 am

Em, you might like this version better because I also made it so that units that opportunity fire can't fire again in the same turn. So there's not so much craziness happening, and it's a little easier to accomplish your goals.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:57 pm

josta59 wrote:Em, you might like this version better because I also made it so that units that opportunity fire can't fire again in the same turn. So there's not so much craziness happening, and it's a little easier to accomplish your goals.

Man, that did drive me crazy...I have to be honest. I'd probably give this a try again. I'd love to see one of our newer members jump in!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:52 pm

Still sort-of planning to release this "new" game this year. I made a couple of refinements this week, but I want to play-test it some more. Just very busy, and enjoying some games with forum members right now!

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:33 am

I'm still playtesting my sequel to Showers of Blood, which I'm calling Aw Frik. I'm trying it at different scales, since I'd like a simple set of rules that would work at any scale (and I'm probably not the only one).

Some of you might have seen me post an AAR to our Facebook group recently, which was a little easier but didn't help our forum in terms of posting activity. That was a playtest at very small scale (towns were only a few inches across), similar to board games that show multiple towns. That was fun, and now I'm playing a smaller game in the same campaign where units are half-squads or vehicles rather than platoons.

I do want to try one at the man-to-man scale before I make these rules public. One funny quirk of my newest rules is that no one dies--they can get so damaged that they might as well be dead, but there's always a possibility of recovery under the right circumstances. That bad guy at the end of the movie can still get off a shot after you think he's toast. So I definitely want to see if that mechanism holds up when each unit represents one soldier.

Right now I have all the rules for playing on one page, and then a second page will have adjustments for different scales as well as customizations for units to make games more interesting.

Sorry this is taking so long. If I didn't have to sleep every freaking night, this would've been done a long time ago. ;) :roll: Such a weakness.

one hour wargame table.jpg
Part of my current wargaming table. I can explain later. ;)

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:52 am

I finally released my new game rules, called Aw Frik. Like Showers of Blood, the main rules fit on one page, and there's just one combat table. But this set comes with a bonus page. Read about it and download it here: http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2625&sid=aa049185dc69a22993b162fdc8a17c8a

Return to “Proving Grounds”