Future Battles

Moderator: Whiterook

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

DUST Warfare

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:54 pm

DUST Warfare - A TCG Review

This is an upcoming installment to the DUST Tactics universe, which I anticipate to be available sometime in either December 2011 or January 2012. What this is bringing to the table is: DUST Tactics miniatures off of the boardgame surface and onto a diorama in more traditional tabletop miniature wargaming. I see it as the next level up, and definintely a move to make this a more mainstream tabletop (diorama-based) miniatures wargame with more potential, still set in an alternate timeline feel.

First off, what is it? A book.

What's different about it? Well, if you didn't get the hint above, it's bringing the game to a diorama. It's Dust Tactics on steroids! But the real beauty of this is, Fantasy Flight Games has stepped up (or will) and make this a system that encorporates all the miniatures you've already bought to play DUST Tactics on the boardgame tiles....no new major components to buy other than scenery for the diorama.

It will introduce new game elements, most notably a Command Phase that changes the mechanics of the game in a whole new way....

Per FFG: Players first get drawn into the action during the Command Phase, where you have to choose how to spend command points during an escalating battle. You might spend command points early and often to advance and sustain an early lead, or you might save them up for dramatic late-game effects that may decisively turn the tide of battle. The Command Phase presents players with the chance to exert their influence and command style upon the field of battle in an engaging new way.

Players have the chance to activate all their forces during the Unit Phase, and reaction mechanics keep you fully engaged throughout your opponent’s turns. As enemy units close in on yours or begin to open fire, you can choose to spend actions from your next turn to react. Keen commanders will make good use of their reaction options. They will also learn how best to feint and bait their opponents to react, draining them of available actions.

As the battle heats up and casualties mount, you need to keep a sharp eye toward your army’s morale. The constant barrage of enemy fire can suppress your units or even force them to retreat. You may try to lay suppression fire even when you can’t destroy your enemy’s unit. Sometimes, just pinning them down can give you the edge you need.

I find this rather intriguing, actually. I am not so sure I won't go beyond this "canned" method for something a little more fluid, but I will have t see how it plays. It may be everything that is needed, in the end. Time will tell.

I am really excited about this develoment and hope it gets through the Beta Testing it is currently in.

Here are some pics from the FFG website to whet your appitite!

Now tha's a hellava lot more exciting than playing on 2-D cardboard tiles!!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DUST Warfare

Postby Whiterook » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:59 pm

It's a shame this miniatures system kinda died a slow and miserable death in most camps....it just never took off. Now, the company has come out with DUST '47. Likely, this is in response to the Bolt Action folks coming out with Conflict '47....which seems to to DUST Warfare on steroids!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”