Another round of classic Battletech...

Future Battles

Moderator: Whiterook

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another round of classic Battletech...

Postby 50th » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:08 am

My friends from St Louis came up again to my friend (now we live in the same town, since I moved in July) Mike's house. We played Classic Battletech yesterday. We did a scenario that I've done before, and it's one I'm taking to the convention in June. I'll also be running a Memoir 44 KhalKhin-Gol Battle Map battle there. My team lost, we were the attackers. We had to breach a wall (Christmas ribbon representing a wall 2 levels tall) and rescue our leader from a rival faction's compound. Here is a picture near the beginning of the game:

My friend OJ is a very good tactical gamer and I usually don't beat him in a tactical game, well I didn't this time either. Here is a picture near the end of the game, where you will notice we did make a couple of breaks in the wall, but our vehicles were destroyed before we could get them in to rescue our leader. The dice next to the miniatures show how many hexes each unit moved so that we can figure modifiers for firing. The color of the dice shows movement mode; walk, run, or jump. Each player usually uses their own color code, but I like green for walk, red for run, and yellow for jump. OJ uses purple for run, because he don't have enough red dice:

But it made for a fun afternoon, and gave Mike more time to learn the rules for Battletech (he has a memory problem, he is on heavy pain relievers).
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Another round of classic Battletech...

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Ah, I remember the brief period when it was called "Battledroids" the Star Wars folks threw a hissy, so the name was changed (for the better!) I messed with it way back when...
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Another round of classic Battletech...

Postby 50th » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Frizzenspark wrote:Ah, I remember the brief period when it was called "Battledroids" the Star Wars folks threw a hissy, so the name was changed (for the better!) I messed with it way back when...

I used to walk around in a game shop back then and look at the miniatures and think that they were cool looking, but it wasn't until I met my friend OJ that I got into it. That was around '94. I used to spend my hard earned dollars on another FASA franchise, Star Trek the Role Playing Game. And I added the Starship Combat Simulator game as well. Here is one of the first iterations of that game:

And the inside of the box:

I still have this boxed set, but I have the newer Star Trek Starship Combat Simulator (or STSCS) rules that we play. (when we play, too many games, too few hours)
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”