Age of Sigmar

Future Battles

Moderator: Whiterook

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Age of Sigmar

Postby Frank » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:23 pm

This is a game I have refused to even look at since it came out, as the original game, Warhammer Fantasy Battle is one of my all time favourite games and when GW just blew up (literally :x ) the Warhammer world and bought out this almost completely unrelated game it really annoyed a lot of older gamers who have watched this incredibly detailed world take shape over the last 20 years or so.

That said, having just tried it, it is an interesting game with some good points and some completely stupid ones, which probably makes it a typical war game :roll: .

Unusually for GW the rules, all 4 pages of them, and a lot of the stats and some fluff is free to download and if you go for the books to get a fuller picture of the game and factions then they are very cheap, the Death book is just £10, quite a difference from my old Vampire Counts book which I think cost me £25 about 4 years ago. Some of the others are £20 but still cheap.

Combat is quite unusual as it is not a traditional, fight one combat then go on the next, style game. If, for example, both sides have 3 units in combat you roll for priority then the winner does their attacks with 1 unit and any casualties are noted then the other player chooses ANY of his units, it does not have to be the 1 in the combat already being fought and attacks anybody he is in contact with which means that both sides can potentially get their hits in first in at least some of the combats. Units can gain buffs from being in proximity to other units from their particular grouping in the army list.

We are going to do a little campaign to try out the rules which I must admit I am looking forward to a lot more than I thought I would.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Wa ... gmar-rules
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Age of Sigmar

Postby Whiterook » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:27 pm

That's some interesting stuff there. Just a brief peek, but I know what you mean on putting certain game-types and titles on a distance. I admire games, like Warhammer, but just haven't had enough interest in them to seriously look at them for whatever reason.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:04 pm

I have always loved the structure of WarHammer fantasy, the incredibly detailed background, I have quite a few of the books set in that theme and they are , for the most part, really good with the added advantage that you don`t need to waste time setting the scene as everyone knows the background. I also think that a fully painted ranked up unit maneuvering round a table is one of the great sights of gaming.

That said we have to move with the times and I can play both so I can`t grumble. I will post up my thoughts as we go on. We have our first couple of games on Monday, two Death armies against two from the forces of Order.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Ok, ok, so I have got no willpower :oops: . I quite enjoyed my game and I might, completely accidentally :shock: , have asked Santa for the Skellies starter set. The sets are good value for GW, £50 each in the Uk but £37/50 plus postage at the store I get my stuff from. It works out at about half the usual price over buying the bits separately. I was wobbeling a bit then I looked at the blow up of the big guy and it completely blew me away, its just so gloriously over the top that I just had to go for it. The main problem is I am never going to have the nerve to start painting it in case I mess it up. :lol:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/St ... eton-Horde
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:24 pm

Frank wrote:Ok, ok, so I have got no willpower :oops: . I quite enjoyed my game and I might, completely accidentally :shock: , have asked Santa for the Skellies starter set. The sets are good value for GW, £50 each in the Uk but £37/50 plus postage at the store I get my stuff from. It works out at about half the usual price over buying the bits separately. I was wobbeling a bit then I looked at the blow up of the big guy and it completely blew me away, its just so gloriously over the top that I just had to go for it. The main problem is I am never going to have the nerve to start painting it in case I mess it up. :lol:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/St ... eton-Horde

:lol: :D You have about as much willpower as I have! Well, I gotta say two things:

1. The skellies remind me of the Sinbad movies, and look really cool! Nice choice!!!

2. Paint away, lad....paint away! Go easy to 'nil on the faces and that's the key for folks not avid painters. I'm a middle ground figure painter, and if can get skin tones down, I'll consider myself pretty good. What I'm saying is, let loose and have fun with it!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:14 pm

I will have fun alright, quite nervous fun, but fun none the less :D .

The good thing about Skellies is there are no flesh tones :lol:
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:16 pm

Well, we have had our first two games and so far I have 1 win, a total massacre :shock: , against a Sigmarite force, and a loss against a Treeman force.

The loss was partly my fault, I suffered from my usual problem of forgetting the victory conditions in favour of the big, cinematic, general on general final turn which I had hardly any hope of winning :roll:, let alone surviving .

I started the campaign with a fluffy "deathrattle" force which consisted of a Wight Lord, a unit of mounted Wights, a unit of Wight infantry and a Skellie unit. We get points for a loss and double points for a win, also the chance to draw for an artifact and/or an attribute. We also draw randomly from a self generated list of what we would like to include, I got Zombies which are a basically poor unit but good cannon fodder, the second after game draw went better with a Necromancer being hired which gives me a reasonable chance of being able to raise a new unit a turn of anything I am already fielding.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:37 pm

I have assembled my box of goodies, and, I have to say that I have NEVER put together a model with so much bad language being used! The big guy looks great now he is built but the diagrams were so vague as to be of quite limited use, and as plastic being a lot lighter than metal it allows for a much more dynamic pose. It is only glued to the base in 2 places, a flat bottomed piece of the tail and part of one of the spirits that glues onto the tail, if you can see how, to brace it a bit. It is a lot like one of those wobble-head dogs you used to see in car windows, except it all wobbles. :roll:

I did buy a corpse on a gibbet from Black Tree a few weeks back that I was going to use in Mordheim but I am thinking that that might be ok to stick in front for the beastie to lean on to brace it a bit more.

The box set was good value anyway at £50 but getting it from an online supplier at 25% off, £37.50 really helped. There are options to build different character mounts, but if you are not too particular you can just magnetise the riders like I did. There are also 5 cavalry that you can assemble as either Hexwraith or Wight cavalry. I had ebay`d some skellie horses a while ago so I can actually build both variants. The 10 infantry are also different to my older guys so I have been able to use them as Wight infantry, Grave Guard, which are a lot more expensive. So if I had bought all of this separately it would have cost me approximately;

character on Terror. £30+
Hexwraiths. £20
Black Knights £20
Grave Guard £20+

I would still have been able to buy at discount but have still saved quite a bit.
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”