Total votes: 5

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Konflikt '47

Postby Whiterook » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:03 pm

Konflikt 47.png
Konflikt 47.png (558.03 KiB) Viewed 798 times

A shameless ripoff of DUST Warfare? ....what do you think???

Konflikt '47 is set in a world very much like ours--that is, until 1943. With the development of atomic weapons, the world changed. The testing of a prototype nuclear device by the Manhattan Project opened a rift in the fabric of space. When the Fat Boy atomic bomb was dropped on Dresden in March 1944, it created a second rift. German scientists set to work studying it with far more speed than their U.S. counterparts. Both nations began to receive radio signals through the rifts, though often undecipherable. Soon it became apparent that these signals were messages from unknown originators wanting to help each nation's war efforts.

As the messages were pieced together, discoveries were made that allowed each nation to make huge leaps in industrial and scientific research. Despite repeated pleas and demands from their allies, both the United States and Germany were reluctant to share the messages coming through the rifts. Stalin then declared the United States an enemy in May 1944: the Soviet Union would end the war on its own.

It is against this backdrop that players find themselves. Using the incredibly popular Bolt Action rules, this rulebook offers everything required to build a force that incorporates the incredible weapons and technologies made possible by the rift signals, and to engage in tabletop battles for supremacy and survival. Fully compatible with existing Bolt Action material, Konflikt '47 takes the war to a completely new level.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Re: Konflikt '47

Postby josta59 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:22 am

Weird WWII is a subgenre unto itself, so I don't think it can really be considered a ripoff. It's very close, though. Speaking as someone with only very surface knowledge of this subgenre.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:39 pm

i hear 'ya....rip-off may be too strong....it is what everyone os saying on the webs' games sites, but I agree that the genre is so unique and under-represented that it's just *another take*; but it is damned close :D

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:13 pm

I think they bought DUST anyway; so I suppose they can do what they want with it
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:50 am

A couple of the guys have had a look and they are not too impressed, they think the rules and minis for Dust are better.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Frank wrote:A couple of the guys have had a look and they are not too impressed, they think the rules and minis for Dust are better.

I would agree with this statement. I watched a 1+ hour YouTube demo, that played out a really nice dio game, and though it was interesting, I kept saying to myself that DUST Warfare seems way more accessible to me; and I also liked the minis with DUST, over what I was seeing for Konflikt.

Maybe one of the dividing lines for me between the two is: In DUST Warfare, you felt like you were still immersed primarily in WWII, but with sci-fi kitsch on the side; whereas with K47, you're just primarily left with the kitsch, and WWII a small side element.

Even though both systems' premise takes place in 1947, it's the WWII taste that attracts me, taken to weird places (but not dominated by the weird).

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”