Mechwarrior: Dark Age

Future Battles

Moderator: Whiterook

Kaddo

Mechwarrior: Dark Age

Postby Kaddo » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:19 pm

This was a random-miniatures-in-boosters game featuring combined arms warfare between infantry, vehicles and 'Mechs. I still have my (small to midsize) collection, and I've been trying to get the local board/rpg crowd to play. Do any of you still play ? Any stories to share ?

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mechwarrior: Dark Age

Postby Frank » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:57 pm

I am afraid that this one went straight past me. :lol:
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:45 pm

OH Baby.....I haven't heard that title in awhile! That is such a cool system!!!! I seem to remember it from the early 2000's?

If I recall correctly, it utilized the HeroClicks (of Clix?) system, and plays sci-fi miniatures. I remember a huge game at Origins one year in particular; but two local game shops in my not too distant driving range played a LOT of it, with layouts that just blew my mind. One of the shops still has a destruction zone dio set up (no Mini's) just begging to be played.

I think 50th here will relate quite a bit to the system; as may josta59, as he;s dabbled in that genre more than I.

I'd love to see pics of your units, and any games you might have captured on camera... If you have some, please feel free to post in the Member's Gallery.

I'd also love to hear more about what attracts you to the game, and your history with it.

Thanks for sharing that one and I really want to hear more.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:32 pm

I never got into the heroclix Battletech, but only the original FASA version. I played it once at a con, and didn't care as much for this system. I've read a couple of the books in this series. And once played a game with the minis, but with the old pencil and paper rules.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:01 am

It was the one with the heat rules? I remember a game where every action generated some heat and when the bot heated too much it will shutdown...embarassing if it happens in the middle of a battle...!
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:19 am

Lucky Luke wrote:It was the one with the heat rules? I remember a game where every action generated some heat and when the bot heated too much it will shutdown...embarassing if it happens in the middle of a battle...!

Actually, that would be the original pencil and paper rules. I'm not sure they had any heat rules in the heroclix B-tech. Yeah, some original mechs like the 50 ton Blackhawk would heat up if it just fired all of it's weapons, but if you have a good roll going in, why not if it might take out a mech?
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:29 am

Actually I parked my mech near a small lake and, if the thing heated up too much I drove it into the water to cool faster...! :mrgreen:
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Lucky Luke wrote:Actually I parked my mech near a small lake and, if the thing heated up too much I drove it into the water to cool faster...! :mrgreen:

:lol: ...that's why I have a man-crush on you, Luca! :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Kaddo

Postby Kaddo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:09 pm

I never got into the original Battletech, but when Dark Age rolled around in the early 2000s I started buying it. It's simpler and faster than the classic game (no record sheet, your record sheet is the dial) and it does have heat, on a separate dial on the Mechs.

What I liked about this game was the low-power environment; in this era, military Mechs were few and far between and a lot of factions were using industrial Mechs, either in the original form or with weapons grafted on. This narrowed the gap between them and everything else, so you could have combined arms forces instead of a race for the biggest and meanest Mechs.

A lot of this changed in the later sets, those bigger Mechs came out and they became more customizable (meaning you could buff them even further) and the original 'proxy' factions were phased out and substituted by the Great Houses. All of this changed it from a combined-arms, brushfire-civil-war-and-chaos game to, well, classic Battletech with clix. Which is why I generally stick to the units from the first six sets, before the first rules revision. One big drawback is the lack of campaign rules, when the storyline WizKids had going for their store tournaments died out we were left to our own devices in this area.

I don't have any pictures (I did play at the last local meet but the guy who took the pictures never posted them) but I hope to fix this soon.

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”