Chain Reaction 3.0 Final Version

Future Battles

Moderator: Whiterook

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chain Reaction 3.0 Final Version

Postby Whiterook » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:09 pm

This thread is devoted to a discussion of the Chain Reaction 3.0 Final Version rules set.

I just started the Chain Reaction 3.0 Final Version Ruless today. For those unfamiliar with the rules, it is a 'Lite' version of the Two Hour Wargames title, 5150.

CR3 is available for free, and 5150 is available for about $25.

Our members Scott and Luca would be the resident guru's of the CR3 system here at MWF, and I've signed on to play in a game hosted by Luca...hence my reading the rules now. However, I actually first came across CR3 when researching systems currently used for miniature gaming in the Stargate universe, which only a few rules systems seem to have been tried previously. CR3, and it's big brother 5150 were mentioned as prime candidates in on-line resources. I do remember perusing CR3 and being impressed enough at the time to buy 5150...but I had not read through either until now.

One of the big things about gaming Stargate is, with the nature of the main antagonist (the Jaffa and System Lords), most systems of straight up wargaming-style combat (especially the IGO/UGO format) will tend to be bloodbaths with no real competition (P90 rifles of the SGC, versus the staff and ZAT energy weapons of the Jaffa/System Lords et. al., is just too unbalanced).

CR3 relies on a 'Reaction System', wherein you actions can trigger immediate (and lethal) reactions from your opponent. What this means is, for a game such as Stargate Miniatures, it will tend to play more like a Role-Play Game; and THAT is exactly what you will need in order to counter that uneven balance in forces just mentioned.

Back to the CR3 rules however, Scott mentioned that the designer has stated that most main-stream wargamers (us old Grog's, especially) gave trouble adjusting their mindset to this style of Reactive-play, and I certainly can see that supposition. It is definitely a different animal!

As mentioned on another thread, I'm a Pieces, so I don't like change; but I am also an Adventurer and I like throwing myself out of my comfort zone! I am still at the start of the rules but I can already see that this system is TOTALLY different than what I am used to. I also see it probably plays more 'realistic' than anything else I've ever played in a miniatures game. How exciting is that!!??!! And I have to say that for a free, 'Lite' version of the 5150 rules, CR3 is way more meaty than I thought. What a gift from the designer!

As I read through the rules, I'll post my comments and perspective on the system, and welcome discussion from all. Note however, that a lot of my judgement on the system will not only be just the system, but how it might apply to gaming Stargate! :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

wuxia
Private
Private

Re: Chain Reaction 3.0 Final Version

Postby wuxia » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:19 pm

I've played a few games using 2hour wargames rules. I believe most are similar. The one that comes to mind at an Origins Convention game used "Dino Hunt" or something like that.

It was perfect for having your one Larger than Life guy in your group that could do really cool stuff at relatively low risk of death as the baggage handlers and gun bearers in the group were quite fragile. Lots of dice and looking for successes.

I have a PDF of CR3.0. I'm going to have to find it and read it over to refresh. I think they have FNG Vietnam too. I could be way off here and probably should have looked some stuff up prior to posting.
You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. Plato ...

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:26 pm

Nope, you're right!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat May 03, 2014 10:37 am

The 'Larger Than Life' component is one of the things that caught my eye for the Stargate SG-1 team members
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”