Anyone play classic battletech?

Future Battles

Moderator: Whiterook

How much do you know about Classic Battletech (CBT)?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm

I've seen it played
20%
I have not seen it at all
20%
I have played it before, but don't have any rulebooks
40%
I have a rulebook or two and some maps and mechs
No votes
I love CBT and have a lot of mechs and books
20%
I like CBT and have a boxed set or one of the rulebooks, maps and mech miniatures.
No votes

Total votes: 5

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Anyone play classic battletech?

Postby 50th » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm looking for CBT players (Classic Battletech) to answer a few questions. Take the poll, please. Let me know what your CBT level of play is.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Lucky Luke

Re: Anyone play classic battletech?

Postby Lucky Luke » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:47 am

I played it in high school but I don't remember a lot of details... :(
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Way back in university. Rules and figures are long gone.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:08 am

Duncan wrote:Way back in university. Rules and figures are long gone.

Don't know if you saw my post on facebook, but I found about twelve of my mech miniatures lately that I had lost after moving in July. I also found two of my rulebooks, the Battletech Compendium and Master Rules. I've been looking at the stuff again and played a game a couple of weeks back (before I found my other twelve mechs and six vehicles). I know I usually only play WWII games, Memoir 44 and Tide of Iron, but Battletech is the game I really fell for. Way back in the early eighties, I used to go to the game shop in St Louis and buy Fasa Star Trek RPG stuff. I always looked at the Battletech stuff because I thought it looked very cool. Finally one day I plunked down my hard earned cash for the City Tech boxed set that included plastic mech miniatures. I was hooked and after Fasa lost their Star Trek license, I bought Battletech stuff at that game shop. This month was the first time I played the game in about five or six years. I have a lot of the technical readout books, and the RPG book. I have the old Technical Handbook, and the Maximum Tech optional rulebooks. Those are advanced optional rules and equipment for the game. They are not for tournament play. I have a few questions about figuring combat values for mechs, which you probably can't answer if you don't have any of the stuff anymore. I still think the mechs look really cool when all painted up.

20170212_094010.jpg
Mechs I found after moving
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:06 pm

Seen it played, in pictures online...but never played it, myself.
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 am

I've been looking at some of the newest rules in the Battletech Rule book, Total Warfare, and found I like the older books and rules better. They've added a whole bunch of new engines, armor, weapons, and equipment. But that's to be expected, as a company takes over an established game they want to put their own spin on things and get a book out to start making some money back on their investment. But to change established rules that have been around for twenty some years is, I think, wrong. One such rule change, I found on the internet, was that once you roll a hit on a unit in partial cover, instead of using the punch table to determine where the hits strike, you use the standard to hit table and any hits that would strike the legs hit the cover (hill, rock, ect) instead! I mean, you rolled to hit and rolled high enough to get a hit, it should hit! I downloaded their newer TechManual, which includes a lot of the newer rules and a lot of the role playing game rules and fluff. I never played the RPG component of the game, and don't need those rules to be combined with the miniature game rules. The TechManual has over 300 pages, and many of them are RPG games or fluff. I don't need RPG rules or fluff. Catalyst is now coming out with a new rule book called, Battletech Manual that is supposed to clarify those hard to understand rules. But every rule book since the boxed set came out was supposed to do that. I don't like what what catalyst has done with the game, and I don't like combining the two different components of the game into one. I don't need to pay a lot more for a thicker rule book that over half of which are rules I will never use!

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”