RIVET WARS

Future Battles

Moderator: Whiterook

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RIVET WARS

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 pm

I just received my copy of "RIVET WARS: Eastern Front", which is the core set for this odd miniatures boardgame. I'm also currently holding on to the C.A.B.S. (our local game club) copy of this game. which I will now return shortly

The game is primarily a mix of World War One and Steampunk with trench lines, barbed wire, gas, artillery, machine-guns, etc. but with a fantastical twist. Later supplements contain aircraft; attack dogs, larger tanks, bizarre heroes

The Allies have rifle armed foot soldiers, rocket cycles, a big gun, a big walking tank and more.

The Blight have Panzerfaust armed foot soldiers, momowheel dragoons, a mobile machine gun and a sturmpanzer
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: RIVET WARS

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:44 am

I love steampunk, and these are some great looking minis.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:32 pm

I never caught on to the whole steampunk idea, I like things that look futuristic, like the phone I used to have. My phones handset was flat with a slight bend near the earpiece and when you hung up, you set the handset upright into the base, and the whole thing was a metallic blue with a slight blending of silver and blue, very cool. I guess that comes from being into the Star Trek series and especially the Next Gen movies and series.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:55 pm

They have several additions; notably one that include aircraft: "The Battle of Brighton" set; from what I understand, it's a wonderful addition that adds another dimension to the game. The aircraft are awkward to use, at least initially and are sculpted with the same tongue in cheek humour as the other sets.

The main company was down to one last set (at discounted price), but then they came up with another three hundred. I was panicked, since i really want this set; I nearly borrowed cash from my youngest... but they "sold out" I will likely focus on another set since I have a 300 margin.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Finally cracked open my box... grabbed a paintbrush moments later. I painted things old school, no washing priming.... etc except for the tanks... I'm not gonna waste away dragging a paint brush over those behemoths...they got the spray... after a few hours, I got all the base colours on.

My Allies are gonna be in strict Military colours...various shades of green mostly. I attempted a Mickey Mouse Pattern on the Tank...... didn't like it, the tank will be busy enough monotone.

The Blight (Germans) heavy machinery are painted in Soft Cornflower as a main colour... ;)

My eyes are bugging out so I've put the paintbrush down for now....

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:18 pm

Made an order from "Cool Minis or Not" CMON... for the aircraft supplement.... I ordered it on Friday, got it the following Monday with six bucks flat rate shipping... If it hadn't been the weekend, I might have got it even sooner.

The set comes rules for using the aircraft in the set, a bomber, two fighters, and two scouts for each side. ther are two Anti-aircraft tankettes in the set; one for each side.... for nearly the cost of the core set, you don't get quite as much for your dollar... but it does add a new element to the game.

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”