Moderator: Whiterook

MiniASL

Mini ASl

Postby MiniASL » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:25 pm

Anyone here converted ASL to minis?

MiniASL

Converting ASL to Minis

Postby MiniASL » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:33 pm

Anyone try to convert the rules of ASL to Miniatures?

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Converting ASL to Minis

Postby Whiterook » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:47 pm

I merged these two topics because they are bot so similar, and deal with conversion of Advanced Squad Leader to miniature gaming. Without more being presented on what was being sought to discuss, this is likel the best way to get discussions going on this topic. :D

I've never seen either done: Miniatures played to Advanced Squad Leader rules; or the rules adapted for miniatures.

I've heard of it being done on dioramas, but still using counters, not mniatures. I think it's real cool what they do with those dioramas, adding the 3D element to a 2D game...but using actual miniatures would be a real headache, in my opinions, as a lot of administrative markers would need to be used in order to keep track of actions in the varied Sequence of Play format.

Also, you'd need a pretty advanced method of tracking cards or sheets to keep abreast of the strength factors (firepower range, morale, etc.) for each type and class of weapon/troop. I think it would be more bother than fun, personally.

Advanced Squad Leader is a fairly new subject to the forum...led mainly by my just getting seriously into the system; however, I do know there are several members very interesting in ASL
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:05 pm

This is what I was talking about, with what I'd recently seen for ASL being played with miniatures (and counters).....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Check this next one out, with counters...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:49 am

I am afraid I will be no help I have never played ASL so I have no idea.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:04 am

Always wanted to, but looked too complicated to me. There was a group that played it at a game shop I used to visit in the '80's. I used to go there and play Star Trek RPG and Battletech, two FASA products. Though I haven't played it in a few years, I also play the Starship Tactical Combat Simulator game:
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:14 pm

The Starter Kits are definitely the way to go if you're new to the system (ASL) and want a measured (and less complicated) was to get going. As Duncan mentioned in another thread, the Starter Kit rules aren't laid out in the most clear manner....but then again, what Wargaming rulebook is :lol: ...still, I found SK1 easy to digest after a few read-troughs, and some highlighting and notations made. I am finally playing, barely, but playing!

Return to “World War Era”