Tank on Tank as a Miniatures Game

1905-1945 (WWI & WWII)

Moderator: Whiterook

josta59

Tank on Tank as a Miniatures Game

Postby josta59 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:22 am

Hey y'all, just had a fun idea as I was waking up and wanted to get my ideas down and maybe generate some discussion. I've liked the game Tank on Tank more and more over the last couple of years and got to thinking about how I really want to learn how infantry work in that game. Then I thought, how could I play it in a modern setting, with modern tanks? Then I remembered that another Lock 'n Load game is set in the Cold War with a similar scale, that being World at War. The WaW rules are way too long and cumbersome for me, but I could use the WaW counters with the ToT rules instead, on either map board. Sounds fun!

Then I let my imagination go a step further--what if I went hexless? I could guesstimate how many inches a hex would represent on a real map, one with towns and roads. Instead of counters, I could have a few images of tanks stand in for a platoon and make sure they all face the same way. So range and facing are taken care of. If hills are needed, I could add some kind of image to represent them. Suddenly we have a simple miniatures game, one that anyone on this forum could get into easily (of course you could do the same with WWII vehicles).

This will take a little work, but it's something I'd like to add to my list of winter gaming projects. Thoughts?
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tank on Tank as a Miniatures Game

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:12 am

I've contemplated several ways of playing modern battle. Miniatures always come to mind; Micro Armor is a great choice; I hear that there will be a 15mm "Team Yankee" version of "Flames of War" Zvezda makes a few moderns in the same scale.

I have considered using tokens with military symbols, or images; there are firms that make precisely cut wooden bases of various sizes that are durable, practical, and not too expensive.

I have considered using overlays and Post-it Note style flags with real topographical maps... we did this in the good old days in the Army... I'm sure computers are now the thing these days.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Love the idea of miniatures with Tank on Tank rules, however it would be costly. Even if you stayed in the 15mm range, which would make the most sense mapping/diorama-wise, you're still looking at between $13-16 USD per tank; and you'd need at least 6 per side to make it worthwhile, in my humble opinion....you could generate small and medium engagements with that. so you're looking at a couple hundred dollars with shipping.

Take Khurasan miniatures for example, who are the leading choice among modern miniatures gamers in 15mm....they are in that price range....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So it comes down to, who has those minis. All mine are WWII.

On the other line of thought, that's an interesting idea with usining a modern war LNL module on VASSAL. We could look into that together, if you'd like....if you wwant to have a go with that, I can see what I can scratch up.

On Tank on Tank...there are infantry and arty in that game. I've just never tried it before. I set up a tank game for you and I....I'd like to play that out, but we can try an infantry scenario after of you're game.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:53 am

Actually, considering that there are three towns on the board, you'd need micro armor on a really big table! So a kind of map-based game would work better--I should've just called it hexless ToT. Maybe folks play minis at that scale, but each vehicle probably represents a platoon, just like in ToT.

My plan is to try it on a chunk of Google Earth using digital counters to show which units are where. It's all going to take a bit of thought. The hexes can make life pretty easy, and going without can require some imagination.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:12 am

Actually you could go plastic for tank mini's. There is a company that makes plastic WWII pieces for Axis and Allies board games http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/, and I thought these might work in your game. Check them out. I've bought some of the Morser 210 mm artillery pieces for German Big Guns for Memoir 44. They looked great as part of the D-Day landings maps at a convention last year. (The black guns behind the sandbags)

"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Got'chya on the microarmor vs big table aspect. I guess it really depends on scale to a degree.

Another way of looking at what you propose is more simplistic pieces, if going with real life miniatures on a map. Look at a game I own for instance, called Sirocco...

image.jpeg
Sirocco Cover Art

The pieces are simplistic representations....

image.jpeg
Sirocco board

Getting pieces like that would be difficult, and makinhg them even more so....but in theory, itt is possible to use 3D models on map terrain like Google Earth maps.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “World War Era”