Gale Force Nine: "TANKS"

1905-1945 (WWI & WWII)

Moderator: Whiterook

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Gale Force Nine: "TANKS"

Postby Frizzenspark » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:00 am

I was given a copy of "TANKS" while working at Origins for Gale Force Nine (GF9).. on down time, I was looking through the merchandise , and the game caught my eye, I had asked a few questions about it... the folks at GF9 noted my interest, and just gave me a copy.

The game comes with a Panther tank and two Shermans; the tanks are model kits with many options. The kits are good quality. There are game/info cards for the enclosed tanks as well as quite a few of the most popular WWII tanks. The set also includes dice, markers, two dimensional terrain and upgrade and crew cards.

The set is a relative bargain at around $25.00 (US) with three tanks in the set. Individual tank models are priced at ten bucks each, these include the tank card and usually crew and upgrade cards; these are respectable models in their own right, so resonable.

I already have a substantial collection of tanks from "Flames of War", so I bought and additional set to get the cards and extra models; I have no other American tanks in my collection, and I'm building the Panthers as Jagdpanthers. MY FLGS discounts the sets at slighty over twenty bucks.

I haven't actually got it to the table yet, I want to get a third set.

http://tanks.gf9games.com
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gale Force Nine: "TANKS"

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:14 am

This looks good, I`ll be interested to see what you think when you get it on the table.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:29 am

Frank wrote:This looks good, I`ll be interested to see what you think when you get it on the table.

I took a further step... bought a third, and likely final set.... this will give me six Sherman Tanks and three Jagdpanthers; I'll try to assemble them this weekend.. the Missus will be out of town.

The tanks in the set provide the excuse for the set, but the real reason was the cards... I can easily field platoons with three tanks each. repectable for play.

The individual tanks are ten bucks each and come with cards; balancing the modest expense of buying tanks that I already have from Flames of War but getting a model with cards is a curious dilemna.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:08 pm

I've been gathering units of tanks for ready roll-out I will have troops/platoons of the following tanks. Cromwell; Sherman V (both with an added Firefly); PzIVH; Panther; StuG; Sherman 75s and T-34.

I've been digging through all of my stash of antiquated FoW stuff.... I have just a touch more searching to round out these platoons. I did assemble the American Sherman tanks from all the sets, I have them primed and ready to paint.

The simplicity of the set-up will enable me to actually get this to the table.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:40 pm

I did some purchases to add to my "Tanks" stash...

I bought a 3' X 3' sheet of plywood.... actually it was 4' X 4', but Home depot gives three free cuts. I painted one side green and one side tan... NWE and NA....

I bought an British Achilles tank destroyer.... which I don't need... I have quite enough of them already... The cards in the set... I do need..... I'll buy an American one, get those cards... and build them both as U.S. versions. My wife queried... only ten buck.....? :)

Return to “World War Era”