Flames Of War, v 2.

1905-1945 (WWI & WWII)

Moderator: Whiterook

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Flames Of War, v 2.

Postby Frank » Sun May 21, 2017 8:03 am

FOW is getting a bit of a revival at our local club at the moment, though through a very roundabout route. We have been playing mainly Bolt Action for the last few years, but we wanted to give the spin-off, Tank Wars, a go and with BA being a mainly infantry based game we did not have too many vehicles for TW. I said that I had a lot of Brit and Gerry stuff and was happy to loan it out, I bought my stuff down one night and we sorted out two sensible sized forces, five to six vehicles a side. Then we looked at what was left in the boxes and our eyes just glazed over and we ended up with fifteen to twenty vehicles each which made for a fun game but made the book keeping for TW completely impractical.

A couple of the other guys had a look and really liked the scope and scale that 15mm gives you. We decided that, as we were only going to be playing at the club, that we would stick with v2 which was my last ruleset as there is a hell of a lot of difference in price between older and up to date books so they could try it fairly cheaply. One guy got his hardback rule book for a few pennies + delivery, I bought the compilation of eastern front German lists , Grey Wolf, for £10, it was £30 when it came out in about 2010. The plastics that are available now also make it a lot more affordable and we now have a British infantry and a US mechanised force being started. If anybody wants to bring their force up to date, v4 I think now, then they will just need the rulebook and an army book.

http://www.theplasticsoldiercompany.co. ... ex&cPath=1

http://www.forgedinbattle.com/index.php ... ry&path=90

There is also an online army builder that seems to work pretty well.

http://www.fowlists.blogspot.co.uk

It has a list of the books it covers on the right hand side.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Flames Of War, v 2.

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon May 22, 2017 7:23 pm

I just found a copy on sale and picked it up dirt cheap... I have paperbacks of the newer ones.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:22 am

There is a 25% off deal on some things at Forged in Battle at the moment so I have been able to start a force that I always liked the look of but never was able to justify the expense of. A PanzerSpahCompanie, a recce/armoured car company. I already have a recce platoon of a 250 with two 250/9 half tracks with 2cm cannons. I have gone for two boxes of Pumas, three in each, to give me a Puma platoon with three patrols of two. Also a box of three 222s to give me a platoon of 221 with two 222s. This gives me with a 250 for a Hq the required three platoons so I just add some support and I am ready.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:50 am

First run out for my PanzerSpah tomorrow night .I have my obligatory stuff sorted:
HQ. 250
Patrol of light cars. 2 x 222, + 221.
Patrol of tracked cars, 2 x 250/9, +250
3 x patrol of 2 Puma`s
Weapons platoon of recce troops in 250`s.

That lot comes to about 750 and we are playing 1500 so I am currently dithering about support as I am going up against a US Recon force whith probably loads of Shermans. Most of my little stuff can`t even kill a Sherman, if I can get a flank shot and Bryn rolls a 1 for his armour save I can possibly bail him out. With my 2cm cannons only having 16" range I am going to have to try and get a bit of hit and run going if I can leave myself to Stormtrooper to after shooting.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Ended up dropping a patrol of 2 Pumas and taking 3 x pak 40`s, 3 x 105s, 2 x 3-7 flack tracks and 5 StuGs.

The Paks are great AT guns, the 105s have decent HE and a useful AT rating in direct fire. The 3-7s have a good ROF and have a bit of a chance against a Shermans side armour, or M10s and Stuarts front armour. WHat can I say about StuGs, good gun,better than usual front armour and a whole lot more than they were designed to be. I love StuGs :D

We rolled a scenario where I was defending with half of my units in reserve, and watching with horror as Bryn kept pulling Sherman after Sherman out of his case. :shock: At least that is what it looked like, actually he ONLY had an HQ of 2, 2 x platoons of 3, 3 x 105 support Shermans, 4 x M10s (plus assorted scout vehicles), 3 x Stuarts and some recon vehicles I am not too sure about, plus a platoon of infantry in 1/2 tracks. :roll:

We did not get the game finished as we were both working our way through a new army, and game , in Bryns case but after 4 turns it did look like we were heading for a draw, whatever , we both really enjoyed the game.
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “World War Era”