Chariots of War

1200 BC-1095 AD (Greek & Roman Wars)

Moderator: Hagen

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chariots of War

Postby Whiterook » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:36 pm

I'm not the biggest PC or electronics gamer, but my interest has been piqued by hearing a lot about this offering from Slitherine. A turn-based game, focused almost entirely on real-time tactical combat.

Chariots_of_War.jpg
Chariots of War cover art
Chariots_of_War.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 1125 times

From what I understand of it,we have the old resource collection/building gig going on here (food, building materials, copper, tin, wood, gold, gems, incense, and horses). Resources are used to construct buildings and units. While trade and diplomacy do feature in the game, they are of lesser importance, as conquest is the only way to attain victory CONQUEST!!!!!! (...sorry....I'm back now).

The battles themselves take place on a separate screen. The player's forces are positioned across one third of the battlefield, and the player alters their formations and gives certain orders. Fighting is automated, so the initial orders are the only input in the battle until it is over.

Tactical battle-wise, you start out with a limited number of formations, and therefore necessitating general attack strategies. You let your forces loose upon the battlefield, sit back, and hope for the best. This has some historical comparability: In the ancient era, generals had some control over when and where a battle started, but after that it was pretty much out of their control. It is said that CoW mimics this reality perfectly

I find this a rather elegant idea. (Not that I know what I'm talking about with this game I've never played!)
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Ancients”