Rome & Conquest of the Empire

1200 BC-1095 AD (Greek & Roman Wars)

Moderator: Hagen

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rome & Conquest of the Empire

Postby Whiterook » Mon May 02, 2016 6:20 pm

The year was 1984...I was newly married that year (and since) and it was Christmas morning. Ripping the paper off a nice big box revealed my most wanted item that year: Milton Bradley's Conquest of the Empire!

image.jpeg
Conquest of the Empire cover art

Part of the Gamemaster series, Conquest of the Empire is very similar to the popular Axis & Allies of the same series. That may be because it was designed by the same designer, Larry Harris. A military strategy game set in the Roman Empire after the death of Marcus Aurelius, 2 to 6 players pit their armies against each other in an attempt to become the ruler of Rome!

I knew I really wanted this game right from the moment I became aware of it ....way back in the wagon wheel days of no Internet, mind you! And in fact, I wanted the whole series, but this was the crowning jewel of the four, in my estimation. The reason was simple....I really liked the Axis & Allies board game, and I really LOVED RISK....and this seemed to combine the best of both!

Players begin with a Caesar, six generals, a small number of combat units, and a home province (Hispania, Italia, Macedonia, Numidia, Egypt, and Galatia—each of which contains a fortified city), doled out determined by how many are playing. The goal is to capture the other Caesars.

All units must be grouped in a legion containing any number of up to seven units. Each legion must be under the control of a general or Caesar to move, although a legion may be stationed without a commander in a province containing a city. All reinforcements are placed in the home province, and cannot be moved to the battlefields until the beginning of the following turn. There are even galleys to move your troops across the Mediterranean.

image.jpeg
Components
image.jpeg (132.83 KiB) Viewed 1713 times

I won't go into the full mechanics but at its core, it's a game of conquest, defeating the other Caesars and taking their provinces, and thereby collecting Tribute to buy more military expenditures to expand your evil expansionists' whims!

image.jpeg
Conquest of the Empire II
image.jpeg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 1713 times

And the game is BIG. I love big! :D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (178.93 KiB) Viewed 1713 times

Fast-forward to 2007, with my attendance of the Origins Game Faire (before it was an 'Expo'). I got a chance to try the new, re-imagined 2005 version of the game, by Eagle Games. Thisre-release contains two rulesets and is therefore in a sense 'two games in one'. Besides the classic rules, there is also a new ruleset heavily inspired by another Eagle game, Struggle of Empires by Martin Wallace, and represents a more 'modern' type of boardgame. Players now fight for influence in key provinces, and troops are not limited in area movement anymore. You also have Forced Alliences, which really changes things up! ...and chaos, action cards, and senate votes. Combat is also changed up.

I think this game was even bigger (if memory serves), f that's possible! To be honest, the game confused me quite a bit. Yeah, it was only the one playing, but one playing was enough to make me realize I am getting everything I need from the original.

I don't know what it is about game systems centered on Rome and the Roman Empire, but I just get so jazzed by it!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rome & Conquest of the Empire

Postby Whiterook » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:23 pm

I hear crickets
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rome & Conquest of the Empire

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 am

Whiterook wrote:I hear crickets

It looks really nice,,,,,,,, (the only response worse than crickets) A classic Monster game, with the allure of Imperial Rome..... What's not to like!?!?
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Return to “Ancients”