Hold the Line, by Worthington Games

1500-1815 (English Civil War, American Revolutionary War, French Revolutionary War, Napoleonic War, etc.)

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hold the Line, by Worthington Games

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:43 am

Hold the Line
Worthington Games

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (109.77 KiB) Viewed 2227 times

What I like about it, and put it first on my list of considerations is the simplicity..... The rules appear light; the maps are mounted and counters have nice infantry graphics; the size (big!) concern me a tad, but that's just an old fart that doesn't like change-thing :lol: ; it reminds me a little of a Memoir' 44 gig with the terrain and tiles. It feels like a game that could be played in a quick and carefree manner on a short afternoon session.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (70.97 KiB) Viewed 2227 times

GAME DISCRIPTION

Take command of the American and British Armies in twelve great battles of the American Revolutionary War. You'll feel the battles come to life as the American Continentals and feared British Elites try to hold the line against each other at the battles of Long Island, Harlem Heights, Weitzel's Mill,Trenton, Hobkirk's Hill, Eutaw Springs, Bemis Heights, White Plains, Kings Mountain, Brandywine, and the double scenario covering the morning and afternoon battles at Monmouth.

The game comes with a beautiful hard mounted game board with hard mounted terrain tiles, counters and thick counters representing infantry, dragoons and artillery. The game also uses the Clash for a Continent system.

As British leaders you've told the American patriots to lay down their weapons or you'll lay waste to their homes. And as the Americans you have pledged your lives and fortunes in defense of all you value. Take the role of British generals Howe, Burgoyne, Cornwallis and others as you stake your reputation on defeating the rebel armies. As American generals Washington, Greene, Gates and others as you've precariously placed your army in their path... The enemy approaches, the sound of cannon deafens, men shout commands, smoke fills the air, can you HOLD THE LINE!

Scenarios:

Long Island
Harlem Heights
White Plains
Trenton
Brandywine
Bemis Heights
Monmouth (morning phase)
Monmouth (afternoon phase)
Kings Mountain
Weitzel's Mill
Hobkirk's Hill
Eutaw Springs
Princeton
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Hold the Line, by Worthington Games

Postby Frizzenspark » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:29 pm

The newer set has Miniatures:

"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:41 am

Those miniatures look FANTASTIC! Did they totally replace the counters, I assume?

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:18 am

I meant to buy the Perry Miniatures Travel Battle set; but out of curiosity, I looked to see if NWS stocked "Hold the Line", they did, I ordered it instead, with postage, it came to under seventy bucks, postage taking more than fifteen bucks of my expenditures. You might want to snag a copy if you're interested, I havent seen too many other folks carrying it. The tokens have been replaced by miniatures... I may resist the compulsion to paint them...
http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/holdlinewgp.html

They also carry the French and Indian War expansion, which adds the French and Indians (The War and the Miniatures)
Image http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/holifrinware.html
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Miniature Market has it as well about 11 copies in stock for $57.85 their postage may be cheaper and faster.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/wpub030.html

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue May 02, 2017 6:34 pm

My package arrived yesterday; I haven't opened it yet..... I've been a little busy around the house... plus it's driving the Missus spare. ;)

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri May 05, 2017 8:21 pm

I ordered the F&I supplement from Miniature Market this morning; they have flat $5.99 shipping... so I'll have saved money, it already shipped, so let's see if I save time.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun May 07, 2017 6:49 pm

:? HOLD THE LINE has been compared to MEMOIR '44 minus the cards.

The DICE TOWER has a positive review of it:
https://youtu.be/mHSNGuGk3Tk
The further review the French and War Supplement:
https://youtu.be/fOf9YsRVkKs

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed May 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Cool stuff...thanks for posting all that great info. I had a bad experience with NWS, but their prices can't be denied as GREAT! How's your experience been with them?

On the other vendor, I use Miniature Market all the time and I believe they have a loyalty program. I'll have to look into this game...

How do you think it plays solitaire?

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed May 24, 2017 10:45 pm

Whiterook wrote:Cool stuff...thanks for posting all that great info. I had a bad experience with NWS, but their prices can't be denied as GREAT! How's your experience been with them?

On the other vendor, I use Miniature Market all the time and I believe they have a loyalty program. I'll have to look into this game...

How do you think it plays solitaire?

I still like NWS; provided you're not in a rush, they're really great on the budget; as I understand it, It's a one-man operation; special orders (marked by the "*") will cause delays.

Miniature Market shipped quickly, but made its way to me very slowly $5.99 shipping.
NWS shipped slowly, but the package flew quickly for a seventeen buck shipping; The game is heavy and NWS is not a big shipper to get discounts.

I finally gave the games a good inspection a couple of minis were a little warped, and I seem to be missing three French flagbearers. I have sent them a message, I expect to hear from them soon.

The miniatures do not represent numbers of troops, but are instead a reflection of their unit's morale status; flabearers indicate: Elite, Regular, or Light troops by which flags they carry. Militia, Rangers. and Indians do not use flags.The game should work well for Solo gaming.

Return to “Pike & Shot”