My Bunnyslope Entry into the American Civil War

1816-1904 (American Civil War, Spanish-American War, etc.)

Moderator: Frizzenspark

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Bunnyslope Entry into the American Civil War

Postby Whiterook » Wed May 18, 2016 9:43 pm

I've never tried a hex and counter American Civil War game. A couple Christmas times ago, my wife bought me a GMT game.....I dug out the rulebook with great excitement.....and henceforth turned tail and run! :shock: It was more embarrassing than Richard Thomas in "The Red badge of Courage". In fact, no courage entered the picture at all! :lol:

Not too long ago, I tried an iPad app from Hunted Cow Games, called Civil War: 1863, After playing their WWII Tank Battle game, which was surprisingly very entertaining. I really didn't know how goodd it was going to be, and was pleased with the product after the first play. It's nothing like a traditional hex and counter boardgame really, but it's gotten me curious to try a hex and counter game of that war era again, so maybe this was the kick in the pants I needed to slide down the Bunnyslope :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My Bunnyslope Entry into the American Civil War

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun May 22, 2016 8:56 am

The concept of linear tactics can be a bit disconcerting the first time you try it; The War Between the States does introduce some "modern" concepts.

There can be gazillions of units in a given game; but they are not moved as extravagantly as one would move them in a more modern game.

The feel of linear warfare can only be fully appreciated by being in the line and moving and shooting as part of a unit.

Why Rock 'n Roll, when you can Waltz.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Bunnyslope Entry into the American Civil War

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:53 am

Great points! ....I think that's a big factor in my not exploring the era/tactics in gaming to this point. Clearly, there is a whole different level of challenge and approach, which can make it a fresh gaming experience. I am sure I will take it on at some point more seriously at some point.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Age of Rifles”