Firepower (1984 Avalon Hill game)

1946-1988 (Korea & Vietnam)

Moderator: Duncan

josta59

Firepower (1984 Avalon Hill game)

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:42 pm

My wife asked me to put yet more stuff on a Christmas list for myself, so I looked into some cheap, self-contained chit/hex-based modern wargames today. Turns out that kind of thing was a lot more popular three decades ago than now. A few people have the 1984 man-to-man skirmish game Firepower on Amazon for very reasonable prices. I looked into it and it's actually just what I'm looking for. If someone buys it for me, hopefully I can get my wife interested, or I'll at least play some solitaire games to learn it, because it would be great for this site. It's on Vassal too, so it would be easy to do here. And it's adaptable for any scenario from Vietnam through the '80s, which is exactly what I wanted.

This isn't an interest check, but one may be coming in the new year!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Firepower (1984 Avalon Hill game)

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Oooooooooooob, Baby! You picked a sweet game choice there, mate! Probably (in my view) the first major Vietnam era game!!!

From my Ganesh shelves in my Man Cave game room.....
image.jpg

image.jpg

Firepower is a detailed look at the organization, weapons and equipment, and tactics of many of the world's nations since 1965. Of course, the game came out in 1984 (the year I got married!), so keep that in mind!

Firepower gives players the opportunity to command squad units in recent or current wars. The destructive capabilities are massive, and the problems of command and control in devising effective tactics are a real challenge for any gamer.

Unit scale is individual soldiers, vehicles and equipment
Time scale is 30 seconds per turn
Map scale is 5 yards per hex, 1 yard per elevation level

The cool thing on this game I really liked is, the basic rules are 4-pages long! The Advanced rulebook is fairly thick and brings you into the juicy stuff. By today's standards, the mechanics are somewhat simpler, but very challenging. If you're into modern gaming, YOU NEED THIS in your collection.

For other modern combat entries, look at Lock 'n Load's stuff....as I believe you've done, young Jedi!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Sorry...took those with my iPad....click on the images for upright shots.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Indeed, as you know, I've been wanting to learn Heroes of the Gap really bad. But I saw today that they're sold out, and it's not on Amazon. I didn't want to ask for something that would be hard to find, so I was really glad to find this. And I like that I can create my own scenarios in my own settings, something that would be tough in HotG. I wanted to run games set in the '80s anyway, so this is perfect. Glad to hear the rules are only four pages--maybe my wife will play with me!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:30 pm

Have you looked at LNL's Forgotten Heroes and Heroes of the Faith games? They are both available....there is also the World at War series.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Aren't those WWII games? That's just not my bag, not when modern settings are available. Or am I wrong?

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:17 am

Naturally, I'll always push you towards minatures...... :D

Osprey has released a set of miniatures rules Force on Force:

Available from Ambush Alley Games (or other stockists):

http://ambushalleygames.com/products/store

A decent review can be found below:

http://www.livingdice.com/6486/review-force-on-force-from-ambush-alley-games-and-osprey-publishing/
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:21 am

I'm very interested in Force on Force...brought it up in a post a couple months ago. But I don't really want just a rule book for Christmas. A game like that is a hobby unto itself, and I'm not ready. Maybe someday.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Ha ha, here's the link to my thread about modern miniature wargames...judging by your post there, Frizz, it looks like I may have introduced Force on Force to you in the first place!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=732

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 pm

josta59 wrote:Aren't those WWII games? That's just not my bag, not when modern settings are available. Or am I wrong?

Nope...to my knowledge, not WWII. I'll look closer later, but I'm 99.999999999999999% sure they are non-WWII.

Return to “Cold War Era”