Firepower (1984 Avalon Hill game)

1946-1988 (Korea & Vietnam)

Moderator: Duncan

josta59

Re: Firepower (1984 Avalon Hill game)

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Oh, you're right. Forgotten Heroes is Vietnam, and Heroes of the Faith is Israel vs Syria in '73. They look pretty cool, though the setting is a little before my main interest level (but later than NW68, heh!). Also a bit outside of a Christmas wish-list price range at $40, I'm afraid (though they may be available cheaper used somewhere). I'm pretty excited about Firepower, anyway!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:07 pm

You might want to check out this Jim Dinnigan classic at some point...Firefight...

Firefight.jpg

You can get a copy secondary market at a decent price.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8833/firefight
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Funded by the Army, interesting! Didn't realize just how helpful these games could be for real combat strategies. Firepower still wins for me, though, since it's newer. But I do love the Cold War aspect of Firefight.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Posted a thread on Modern Warfare games.....

Yeah, the military actually used/uses board and diorama-based wargames in tactics and strategy training. This is a bigger subject than I'll cover here but, this is a reason wargaming is more a hobby than boardgaming. There is a real distinction, really. If you want a simple litmus to test that theory:

Give your significant other a copy of the rules to say, Chutes & Laddders;
Then a copy of the ASL Manual;
Observe pained look on their face;
There you go!

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

josta59 wrote:Ha ha, here's the link to my thread about modern miniature wargames...judging by your post there, Frizz, it looks like I may have introduced Force on Force to you in the first place!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=732

You may have introduced it here; but more likely I actually saw an Osprey display at the Origins Game Fair..... ;)
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:28 pm

I just found this blog post (http://hexsides.blogspot.com/2012/10/fi ... probe.html) from a couple of months ago where someone has been playing a Heroes of the Gap scenario using the Firepower modules. Needless to say, this has me very excited. The scale is different, but it's a scale I'm more interested in (one piece equals one man instead of a group). If someone gets me Firepower for Christmas, I can play Heroes of the Gap and probably whatever other kind of similar game I want to play!

Maybe I should invite this guy to the site...no, definitely I should.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:12 pm

I have been known to take unit counters from one game and apply them to another games' rules /mechanics. It's one of the reasons to snag counter give-always and demo downloads on sites. Foe example: A few years ago, I got a free download of LNLP's "Island War". That free download went away when the company published a boxed version up scaled to Island War Deluxe. Well, I'm too damned cheap to pay for the new boxed game....especially since I'm not a 'Pacific guy'....but the counters can come in handy for some home-grown play with other mechanics or homerules.

Return to “Cold War Era”