Site Admin
Site Admin

'65, by Flying Pig Games

Postby Whiterook » Fri May 13, 2016 8:59 pm

image.jpeg
Cover Art
image.jpeg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 346 times

'65 Squad-Level Combat in Vietnam

Fast, furious, and fun! Are you looking for something new, something fresh? ’65 might be the game for you. A squad-level, tactical game, ’65 recounts the early battles of the Vietnam War, from Ia Drang to Operation Starlight, and most everything between.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (67.14 KiB) Viewed 346 times

The large and beautiful counters (1" to 1.375" square) represent squads, Leaders, Heroes, Snipers, M-48 and Pt-76 tanks, and more. As these units’ commander you will move and fight over several geomorphic game boards as you try to best your opponent in one of eight, nail-biting historical scenarios.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 346 times

The game is card-driven, using a system similar to Flying Pig’s Night of Man, adding a sense of delicious uncertainty to the play. “Can I advance my sappers or does the enemy have a fire card he's just waiting to play?"

Furthermore, the cards simplify the game, containing much of the data needed to play. You won’t spend the afternoon with your head in a rule book when you play ’65. This is a game created by gamers for gamers to play. ’65, squad-level gaming at its best.

Estimated delivery: June 2016.

Each Game Includes:

3 richly illustrated, 11” x 17” geomorphic game boards.
Over 175 HUGE 1” and 1.375” counters. Bigger is better!
1 deck of 54 action cards.
Full color rules and scenario booklet.

Players: 2-3

Playing Time: 1-3 hours.

Retail: $79.99
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

'65, by Flying Pig Games

Postby Whiterook » Fri May 13, 2016 9:06 pm

You know, I've been looking at this one on and off for awhile now....first on KickStarter, and now on the FPG site.

image.jpeg
Flying Pig Games', '65
image.jpeg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 339 times

http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2195&sid=2424cd478ffe9cf22e7878343d341144

There's something about it that keeps drawing me in, and to be honest, I'm not really a big Vietnam Wargamer.....

But to think a little deeper on it, I did buy Avalon Hill's "Firepower" back a couple decades ago so, there must be something that is hidden deep down that appeals to me.

So looking at the game again tonight, it hit me that maybe, just maybe this is a new modern take on that old Firepower game? No, not mechanics, 'cause it's clearly very different and in its own style and design; but I'm feeling like this may be the closest answer to that old AH game, in a new, modern, sleek design!

I have a feeling I may buy this puppy yet! :D

Lucky Luke

Re: '65, by Flying Pig Games

Postby Lucky Luke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:01 pm

You tickled my curiosity and I had a look to the game mechanics as depicted in the BGG site.

From my VERY narrow point of view, a war game who uses cards to set the possibile moves for each player is a good "storytelling" system if you play solitaire but it takes the "free will" from players' hand.

I own Attack Sub (AH) and there you cannot launch a torpedo if you don't have a 'Fire!' Card...it is a very simple game and played lightly this solution is not too heavy on the game play but thinking about a Squad Leader where you cannot fire at advancing enemy unit because you don't own a 'Fire' card... :shock:

The '65 system must be more refined than that and I would like to know more about it...
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: '65, by Flying Pig Games

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:54 am

Lucky Luke wrote:You tickled my curiosity and I had a look to the game mechanics as depicted in the BGG site.

From my VERY narrow point of view, a war game who uses cards to set the possibile moves for each player is a good "storytelling" system if you play solitaire but it takes the "free will" from players' hand.

I own Attack Sub (AH) and there you cannot launch a torpedo if you don't have a 'Fire!' Card...it is a very simple game and played lightly this solution is not too heavy on the game play but thinking about a Squad Leader where you cannot fire at advancing enemy unit because you don't own a 'Fire' card... :shock:

The '65 system must be more refined than that and I would like to know more about it...

You, my dear friend, hit upon the heart of what I've picked up on about Mark Walker.....he's a storyteller. I've seen it in more and more of his designs, and had starting publishing 'novels' for that last several years.

To the point of ....

I agree with you 110%!

Return to “Cold War Era”