Moderator: Duncan

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

World at War '85

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:01 pm

image.jpeg
World at War '85

I love the World at War (WaW) Series!!! My draw into the series actually started with the Nation's at War series, but World at War was then a natural next step! ...that, based on it's mechanics and ease at transferring to a new mechanics system

so want some cool news?????

The series is getting a reboot! :D

The Lock 'N Load Publishing folks are changing it to the new name, World At War 85. That to me is a great movem as it tells you right away, what era you're in. But there's something deeper going on here....

A lot of their titles in this cool series had started to go out of print, and it was getting a bit murky as time went on, keeping track of what games were required to be owned to play some of the others. What I see going on here is an effort to alleviate this afformentioned issue by a well-laid-out plan to organize the system in a better ownership pattern. From the company's Facebook page:

Storming the Gap - This game will include the older editions of Eisenbach Gap, Death of the First Panzer Army and the Gamers Guide. This game will include 14 scenarios, 3 double-sided full-color maps and about 260+ counters.

Blood and Fury - This game will include the older edition of Blood and Bridges, Battles within Battles, Operation Garbo, Baltic Fury and Yankee scenario from Eisenbach Gap. This game will include 37 scenarios, 4 double-sided maps and about 675+ counters.

The Untold Battles - This game will include the older edition of The Untold Stories, Paris is Burning and Into the Breach with the Black Day Campaign. This game will include 32 scenarios, 4 double-sided maps and about 875+ counters.

America Breached - This game will include the older edition of America Conquered and the Texan War of Independence. We do not have a map, scenario and counters count yet.

Strike Force Africa - This game will include South African, Cuban, Angolan units and scenarios from Line of Fire expansion. We will be expanding this by some limited NATO and Warsaw Pact forces. We do not have a map, scenario and counters count yet.

They will be adding historical maps and historical units to the series! This is exciting news indeed, and I can't wait to see this series re-evolve and get even better.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: World at War '85

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:07 pm

A few other points in the system:

LNLP reports that they have added two great designers/developers, now working on the series: Matt Lohse and Keith Tracton. That was an important announcement to my sense, in that it shows the company has dedication to the series and moving forward and beyond with it. That's great to hear.

They will be providing a new historical outline with a lot of new exciting things to come.

They also, won't be following the old series history or horror theme. Their new edition will be of a military theme only.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:18 pm

COMING UPGRADE KITS:

LNLP will be making upgrade kits available, to customers that already own the older series.

The Map Upgrade Kit will be in their new map style, having both winter and summer styles. I will tell you right up front, this is worth the price of admission! I own 90% of the old series, so the first knee-jerks reaction was, 'Oh, damn!' But you know what....after thinking about it, this happens....

But I, as the old series investor, have options, which was apparent after thinking about it, in LNLPs plans to move forward with this series:

1. I can stay with the old series and all is fine; or...
2. I can upgrade components, and move forward in the retooled version, while still remaining backwards-compatible (that's almost unheard of, in a company going to that extreme (perhaps, totally unheard of, as I can recall one other company ever doing this, actually!); or...
3. I can dump what I own and start over, which is not unusual to most of us hardcore Grogies.

In my book....that's pretty damned good options!!!!

LNLP's second upgrade kit will be a printed v2.0 game manual. I am particularly excited to hear about this because it means any errata and lessons learned, and bugs found, since the games inception can now me fleshed out and the rules energized! :D Always a good thing!

Both the map upgrade kit and the printed manual kit will be will be separate products. These upgrade kits are for those that already own a game from the older edition and prefer to upgrade their game.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:20 pm

I'm excited as a newborn Grog at all this! I loved the World at War series. I'll fall in love all over again at the the new and improved offering, with it's multiple options to get there.

Aw come on......you know GD-well I'm buying new! For GOD's sake....just NO ONE tell my wife!!! :lol: :shock: :lol: :o

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:42 am

I have only played Blood and Bridges. Other than the silly map names I absolutely love it. I really hope this stuff is backwards compatible. That's the only way I will purchase it.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Duncan wrote:I have only played Blood and Bridges. Other than the silly map names I absolutely love it. I really hope this stuff is backwards compatible. That's the only way I will purchase it.

According to the Facebook group page, yes it is, and I think that's an awesome move on their part. I don't know of any other company that makes their updated board wargames backwards compatible, so this is really big stuff, in my book :D

Return to “Cold War Era”