Able Archer, Cold War miniatures rules

1946-1988 (Korea & Vietnam)

Moderator: Duncan

josta59

Able Archer, Cold War miniatures rules

Postby josta59 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:13 pm

I came upon a blog called miniaturewargaming.com over the weekend and found links to dozens of free wargames, many of which I'd never heard of. I could hardly believe it.

The one that has me the most excited right now has no word of mouth at all, despite the designer's best efforts (including an empty page at BoardGameGeek, a Facebook page, an unused forum, and a blog). It's called Able Archer, and it's a Cold-War-gone-hot game at the battalion level. Its author is Czech but was able to put out a decent English translation.

The rules aren't professional looking by any means, but the layout is clear, and all the tables are listed again at the end. Army lists are provided in separate documents. Each vehicle and squad type has a data card suitable for printing. I wrote the author hoping he could send these data in single documents; if I don't hear back I may create my own documents using his data, since I don't want to print the cards (they're nice, but they look a bit graphics-intense).

I'm still only halfway through my first SabreSquadron playthrough (I'm using a very large map), but when that's done I really want to try Able Archer. I may be one of the first, particularly in the States. All the necessary documents are at the game's blog, http://ablearchercz.blogspot.cz/.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Able Archer, Cold War miniatures rules

Postby josta59 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Oi, I'm glad I looked at that site again. That blog has most of the documents, but for some reason you can't access the rules in English from there! Here's a link to the rules and other documents, thanks to miniaturewargaming.com: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c36i1scygsh378b/5nQDf7neSH
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:31 pm

I couldn't get the rules to open, either, so thanks on following that through!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:56 pm

Oh, got you interested! Listen, I've been using a new version of his rules that I made myself. Much fewer pages, and it's easier to find what I'm looking for. It should be complete soon, since I'll be playing a game with artillery next and that's the only part I haven't added yet.

I also converted all his data cards into much clearer and handier tables that I'll be happy to send you.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:24 pm

josta59 wrote:Oh, got you interested! Listen, I've been using a new version of his rules that I made myself. Much fewer pages, and it's easier to find what I'm looking for. It should be complete soon, since I'll be playing a game with artillery next and that's the only part I haven't added yet.

I also converted all his data cards into much clearer and handier tables that I'll be happy to send you.

AwesomeSauce!!!!! :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Not only is the Able Archer author finally getting his act together, he also posted my rules update to his blog! So it's kind of official now. Sweet!

http://ablearchercz.blogspot.cz/2016/01/new-printer-friendly-version.html

Return to “Cold War Era”