GDW's "Assault" Series: 1980s WWIII Nato vs Warsaw Pact

1946-1988 (Korea & Vietnam)

Moderator: Duncan

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GDW's "Assault" Series: 1980s WWIII Nato vs Warsaw Pact

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Looks like I'll have a little sorting (not much)

In the tin storage box where my Assault series was stored....I also found the following game sans box.....

Operation Market Garden
Operation Market Garden is a "double-blind" game focusing on the failed Allied airborne offensive of September 1944. It was one of three "double-blind" land warfare wargames released by GDW in the eighties. The game system used two maps so that both players were "in the dark" as to the disposition of the opposing forces at the start of the game. The game system does not require a referee, but instead relies on the honor system.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Bummer on the lost box. To be honest, I've several games with the counters not stored in the box anymore, but rather in Craft Mates storage systems....

image.jpg

image.jpg
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 pm

This was due more to keeping storage to a minimum.... I lost a very large collection Avalon Hill games due to flooding (wargaming was cheap and popular with the help of PX pricing in the eighties) less space meant better storage..... lose the box!

The Market Garden game might be even more do-able as an on-line game than as a board game.....

My Assault counters are stored in meticulously labled tiny manilla envelopes, divided by separate units...
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:35 pm

I hear 'ya there...space always seems to be at a premium, especially after yiu get married and the little one gets pissed at all those games 8-) :lol: ...

Rather than hijack this thread, i'll re-rout the discussion of this particular storage system to the following...

http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=377&p=2467&sid=ade533d23869da7a6151a0f5b1442ce8&sid=ade533d23869da7a6151a0f5b1442ce8#p2467
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Cold War Era”