1946-1988 (Korea & Vietnam)

Moderator: Duncan

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

GDW's "Assault" Series: 1980s WWIII Nato vs Warsaw Pact

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:48 pm

Assault
"Tactical Combat in Europe: 1985. Assault postulates a conventional conflict between the United States and the Soviet Union in the European environment in 1985." Assault, the first game in the Assault Series, includes U.S. and Soviet ground forces.
The game uses 250 meter hexes, 5 minute turns, and platoon/section sized units.

We played this game frequently, during the mid-eighties.... and oddly enough only miles from the then East German Border.... I believe I have the entire released system.... out of it's original packaging. though in otherwise great shape....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GDW's "Assault" Series: 1980s WWIII Nato vs Warsaw Pact

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:55 pm

Boots & Saddles

"Air Cavalry in the 80's. In order to simulate the modern battlefield on a tactical level, a game must cover both hardware and the human element in detail. Assault includes all the latest technology from Chobham armor to Copperhead, as well as simple but realistic command control and morale rules."

Boots & Saddles was the second Assault Series game. It could be played as a stand alone game, or in combination with the other games/modules in the series. Boots & Saddles added rules for helicopters and air defense weapons.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Reinforcements, An Assault Series Module

"Reinforcements: New U.S. and Soviet Units for Assault. Now you can have a complete set: with this module, plus Assault and Boots & Saddles, you will have counters for every type of U.S. and Soviet maneuver unit likely to be in central Europe...
This module contains a system designed to allow players to create their own force levels and victory multipliers for Assault scenarios."

Reinforcements was the first Assault Series module, and it required Assault or Boots & Saddles to play.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Chieftain: The British Army of the Rhine

"Chieftain: The British Army of the Rhine. Chieftain provides a complete array of British equipment and maneuver units, from Chieftain and Challenger tanks through MCV-80 and Saxon APCs. Not only are the well-equipped forward elements presented, but the light security elements that form BAOR's vital reinforcements are included as well. Chieftain also presents the Netherlands Army, with its uniquely organized and equipped units. Accompanying aviation and engineering assets link Chieftain directly to Bundeswehr and Boots & Saddles."

Chieftain was the third Assault Series module, and it required Assault or Boots & Saddles to play.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Bundeswehr: NATO's Front Line

"Bundeswehr: NATO's Front Line. Bundeswehr gives you . . . Leopard 1 and 2 tanks, Marder APCs, Luchs and Fuchs reconnaissance vehicles, Jaguar antitank vehicles . . . PAH-1 attack helicopters and Gepard air defense guns, for use with Boots & Saddles. Combat Engineering is vital on the modern battlefield. Bundeswehr's simple but comprehensive combat engineering rules cover every important aspect of the subject."

Bundeswehr was the second Assault Series module, and it required Assault or Boots & Saddles to play.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Typical Map from the game
Typical Counters from the game

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:03 pm

WOW....nice thread!

And a nice stroll down Game Designers' Workshop lane!!! I believe they went out of business sometime around the mid-1990's or so, but I remember seeing their titles back in my early Wargaming days.

I think they might be comparable to what Lock'N Lad Publishing is today. I've not thought to look for any of their stuff in the secondary market, but I'll have to put it into the search...I'm always looking for titles to add to the collection!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:09 pm

I recall one battle where I had plenty of "dummy" counters.... I tried to sneak a battalion of BTR-80s down the sideline..... got busted up really bad..... was congratulated on using perfectly followed Soviet Doctrine....... for all that was worth....... :(

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:21 pm

I've been interested in this game for months. I have all the Vassal modules and everything I need to play. I'm even a member of the Yahoo! group. But I haven't been able to slog through the rulebook yet.

Frizz, I would be very interested in playing this with you in person if you had the time and interest. If you taught me how to play, maybe later we could get some games going here in the forum.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Sounds good..... I'll try to track everything down.... I'll have to re-learn it myself. as well as joining the Yahoo group. We may have to slog it out and figure it out together....

Return to “Cold War Era”