Super long Firepower map

1946-1988 (Korea & Vietnam)

Moderator: Duncan

josta59

Re: Super long Firepower map

Postby josta59 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:35 am

Looks like a slick program. Thanks for sharing. I've dabbled in such programs, mostly Roll20.net, which I've found to be a great struggle. Hard to understand and seemed very buggy. But man, yours looks really cool. What free options would you recommend, by the way?
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Heruca

Postby Heruca » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:03 pm

I can't really recommend these because I have not actually used them, but at least I can bring them to your attention. These are about the only one's I've encountered that seem to offer support to the miniature wargames market.

Virtual Wargames Room (3D)

Universal Battle (2D)
"Universal Battle is totally free to use, though to unlock some advanced features we ask a small subscription fee."

That said, I saw a great quote the other day which seems pertinent here:
"ANY technology that saves you more money than it costs you, is, in effect, cheaper than free."

By way of example, if a commercial app costs you a bit of money up front but saves you hours of your time and grief, is that not preferable to a free (possibly unintuitive) app that you end up futzing with for hours to get the result you want, with no one to turn to for immediate support? It largely comes down to what you think your free time is worth.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:37 pm

True, but in my experience, figuring out how to do stuff myself not only increases my experience level and makes me feel really good about myself, but also expands what kind of games I'm able to do, opens my mind to other possibilities, is really fun, encourages others to do it too, and has no effect on my actual budget. I therefore have no regrets about all the hours I've spent.

Thanks for the links, I'll check 'em out.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Return to “Cold War Era”