Is the Vietnam War finally getting its due?

1946-1988 (Korea & Vietnam)

Moderator: Duncan

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is the Vietnam War finally getting its due?

Postby Whiterook » Wed May 18, 2016 9:21 pm

A sad fact is, we are loosing our WWII vets at a rather rapid pace now. Less and less are around, and many of those amazing guys are just not as prevalent in view in our society. There was a time you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a WWII vet (yes, bad analogy!)....but these days, it's Korean War vets we see at veterans' holidays, functions, conventions, etc.

Interestingly enough, I am seeing more new Vietnam War games becoming available; and the very few there was-older games, also becoming sought after.

WWII is a war era very popular in the gamers-verse, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon....but, I wonder, perhaps we're seeing an emergence of the next, old war?

I don't see the Vietnam War ever surpassing the interest in and availability of WWII games....it's a juggernaut. But I can envision the Vietam War as a solid niche in the not-to-distant future.
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

rcleary171

Re: Is the Vietnam War finally getting its due?

Postby rcleary171 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 pm

The scope of WWII gives game developers a rich source of data for creating new and unique games. Vietnam and its neighbors presents a limited geographic location. Still, the challenges that faced US commanders are the same challenges that game developers face with creating balanced and interesting games (like the Lock n Load series).

Duncan

Re: Is the Vietnam War finally getting its due?

Postby Duncan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:50 pm

Lots of stuff out there now looking at the conflict from different perspectives. I have Fire in the Lake and Forgotten Heroes.

Return to “Cold War Era”