Mr. '80s Warfare

1989-Present (Post Vietnam)

Moderator: Whiterook

josta59

Mr. '80s Warfare

Postby josta59 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:10 pm

I think we can all agree there aren't enough games happening on this site! Of course we're all busy, but maybe the biggest problem is a lack of players here. I find the PbP system to be most convenient for me, even though it means one game can take months and may never actually finish. I still like it this way, but I want more games. I'd like to help by running some myself (never done it before) and providing a little more variety to bring in more players.

I had a bit of luck this week when I spent $5 at IMPRINT (http://members.iinet.net.au/~avalon11/index.htm) on the huge rulebook for Avalon Hill's Firepower and didn't receive it within the promised 24 hours. As a result, the site owner offered me two more games for free. I carefully chose games that I would be able to play on Vassal in the hopes of running them on this forum someday.

So now I'm hoping to be "Mr. Modern Warfare" or maybe "Mr. Cold War" by the end of the year. If anyone wants take a break from WWII and try something a little more modern (I'm partial to the '80s, myself), here are the games I'm hoping to get to know this year:

• Firepower (Avalon Hill): From Vietnam through the '80s, simulates real battles on a very small scale, including the Falklands War, Central American conflicts, SAS missions and much more
  • MBT / IDF (Avalon Hill): Hypothetical armored simulations in '80s Europe or simulations of real Israeli battles in the '60s and '70s (same system)
  • The Central Front Series (SPI), including BAOR, Hof Gap, Fifth Corp, North German Plain, and Donau Front: Larger scale simulations of hypothetical battles in '80s Europe
  • Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap (LNL): Squad-level simulations of hypothetical skirmishes in '80s Europe
  • Lock 'n Load: A Day of Heroes (LNL): Specialized simulation of American special forces battling in Mogadishu, 1993 (Blackhawk Down)

Post a comment so I can get a sense of interest level over the coming months! Thanks.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Mr. '80s Warfare

Postby josta59 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Actually, let's remove the Central Front Series, since I can't get the blasted huge thing to load on Vassal. Let's replace it with LnL's World at War series, which is similar in scope but more modern in mechanics.

I've also loaded GDW's Assault series on Vassal and it looks nice, but I can't find any rules available anywhere. I'd be especially interested in the Boots & Saddles expansion if anyone has those rules.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:49 pm

If it is a style similar to the one Em is running then I am interested (I am going to have to get some willpower someday), as I have said, I have minimal I T skills, so if all I have to do is post moves then that is fine.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Frank wrote:If it is a style similar to the one Em is running then I am interested (I am going to have to get some willpower someday), as I have said, I have minimal I T skills, so if all I have to do is post moves then that is fine.

Em's been running LnL games, which seem to have very similar mechanics between them. So you'd have no problem picking up any of the World at War games. It's basically the same thing with more modern equipment, and not based on anything that actually happened. And yes, all you'd have to do is post moves. I'll do the rest, just like Em does.

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:23 am

Firepower or MBT/IDF could be fun. I have a copy of MBT at the house here somewhere. Have to dig it up and check it out again.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:03 am

Cool, yeah, MBT looks really good. Looking forward to learning it.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Well, I am definitely down for LNL World at War!

Frank, the Lock 'N Load World at War is a series of games, modern warfare, upon which the LNL Nation at War series came from. NaW is WWII warfare, including the White Star Rising game I run. Both games use similar mechanics...as does the Nuklear Winter '68 game I'm running...rit down to the counter combat and mob movement designations. It's one of the reasons I just ordered the boxed game 'Eisenbach Gap Deluxe' on preorder....the thought process being, the better chance of me playing more games if I don't have to keep so many games in memory storage, if you know what I mean.

Well Mr J....you've openned a can of worms my friend, and I couldn't be happier! :D All good points:

We certainly could use more games being played here. Your assumption is correct, in that we've still a somewhat small membership base, so obviously, there will only be a small cadre of players of games here.

• For legacy sake of site history, note that the forum that this all generated from (prior to Tin Can General, even) was originally...conceptually...just a discussion forum. The design of which was totally from scratch and what made sense to me. That original forum was part of another subject-matter site (World War II) and that site actually had quickly become overrun by its own model building section. What happened in the wargaming section there was, getting participation in threads (and membership generation of threads) was like pulling teeth from a gorilla. I added in the form of game play you see here, which helped, but....all the action was devoted in modeling there; the other major are the history areas; and last being a gaming section with critical growing pains.

Then came Tin Can General, and a site devoted 99% to wargaming, 1% light social discussion. Membership, unfortunately, stayed very small and much of that was due to limitations of the site limitations in an aging software system that got real glitchy.

The final evolution was Military Wargaming Forum, with a bright new look and many possibilities in site design and mechanics. What happened between TCG and MWF was, the strongest devotion to actual game play seen yet. This was done by my turning over that subject (game play) to our very own Master-at-Arms, TRDG. That also freed me up to run the site without the drain of trying to keep a game-play faction enthused and active.

An integration of social network publicizing and aggressive 'sales' at other sites and game venues (mainly by forum staff) have seen a steady growth in membership. With that growth comes players. But the only way we get more players are for players to sign up and commit! And......

• ....the need to have Gamemasters (GMs)! GMing a game is certainly more time consuming and involved than playing in them, but it also bears with it a sense of pride and accomplishment in hosting a game successfully, and watching 'your baby grow and develop'. It is actually VERY rewarding! Bout how do you do it?

Well that's a valid (and good) question! It can be as simple as setting up a miniatures or board game and posting pictures you take with a camera of combat and movement results; along with the stuff that come before it, like setting up the game, making the rules know, setting up a Q&A thread, and then running the game. The method I used in the beginning (and will use again shortly) was just that....a diorama and a camera! ....but the method I've used lately and prefer is VASSAL. And now for the shocker....you ready? ......

It's not that hard! You don't need to be an IT genius to do it. And to prove it, I will start on a thread that shows step-by-step how, how to GM a VASSAL game!

• We are not just a WWII wargaming site. Personally, my area of interest is World War II, so I'm sure I've left that footprint fairly prevalent :lol: However, we cater to all eras and formats (errrr, within reason and good taste!) I'd personally love to see more modern and ancient wargaming....and there will be, in time.

• Gaming of this sort can be slow ....but therein lies the beauty....it's low key and relaxing in its own way! No pressure...just fun....which by-the-way, is the major rule of this site....No pressure, just have fun!

That said, there are only a couple GMs here at present, and it's hard to have so many games going at once, and still have a life. More GMs, more games.

So, yes....lets definitely get our game on! If you'd like to GM....I am 110% available to mentor you through it, believe me it's not as hard as you may think. I'll make myself available to yiu any ay you need me (errrrr...within reason and taste!) I am sure Tom can shed light on the process, as well....he's a gaming machine!!!!

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:19 pm

Cool, Em. You've already been mentoring me, just by moderating Tank on Tank. And just a couple of rounds of NK68 taught me a lot about wargaming. I wouldn't feel at all ready to take this on, otherwise. But it's good to know you're available to help! It would be fun to have you play in a game that I'm running. I can only try to do it with your pinache!

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Whiterook wrote: I'd personally love to see more modern and ancient wargaming....and there will be, in time.
What kind of games are you thinking, boardgames, miniatures? For the modern era stuff, are you leaning more towards ground, air or naval themed? I guess much would depend on what will bring in the most player participation along with what would best fit a forum environment.

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:18 am

Ill definately play Firepower with you. I need more time to get my new home in order and to dig it out and re-read the rules, but i promise you we will be playing in a few months.
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Return to “Modern & War on Terror Era”