Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Modern Warfare Boardgames

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm

Golan '73
GMT Games, Retails $65, $44 on P-500
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-417-golan-73-fab-3.aspx

Golan 73.jpg

In Golan '73, you will command highly mechanized forces and maneuver them across the rocky terrain of the Golan Heights. You will find new asset types to aid your cause such as SAM’s, mortars, and anti-tank guns. Battle specific events include Operation Dugman 5, Strategic Reserve Releases, the GHQ Air Raid, Lt. Zvicka Greengold, Electronic warfare, the Syrian Frog-7 missile strike and more. New terrain features in Golan '73 include escarpment, wadi, and the anti-tank ditch, known as the purple line. Helicopter-borne air-assaults and special rules for the first night are included to add more historical flavor from this important campaign.

The Israelis start with few units but gain strength as reinforcements arrive, but will there be enough and will they get there in time? The Syrian player starts with a very strong force, but must attack at the right places and rely on rapid breakthrough across the Golan Heights in order to seize the objectives. Time is against the Syrians, with not only the Israeli reserves arriving, but also as the SAM barrier gets reduced and the effectiveness of the Israeli Air Force grows. The Syrians must strike hard and fast, then fight to hold on to their gains.

Both players have a degree of variable setup that allows enhanced replay value, but still keeps the historical flavor. A historical setup is also provided for those that wish to more closely follow history.

In Golan '73, the FAB series meets modern warfare and now YOU are in command to fight one of the greatest tank battles ever fought.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Hmm, I feel like I inspired this list somehow...

Gotta say, though, I think it's telling that you go all the way back to Korea for your "modern" warfare games. You really are stuck in the pre-'50s era! :lol: kidding
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm

josta59 wrote:Hmm, I feel like I inspired this list somehow...

Gotta say, though, I think it's telling that you go all the way back to Korea for your "modern" warfare games. You really are stuck in the pre-'50s era! :lol: kidding

:lol:

Good list....... To me, the War Between the States is modern warfare ;)
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Ha.....anything that shots an iron projectile bullet, ball or pellet is Modern to me! :lol: :shock: :lol:

Seriously, you know what the shocker is for me? That given the fact we've (USA) been at war more than a decade now, that it hasn't inspired modern 21st Century Wargaming in the market. I mean, it's pretty much totaled the WWII genre in platform/electronic gaming....but almost nothing in boardgaming.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

gocamels
Private
Private

Postby gocamels » Thu May 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Kandahar: Special Forces in Afghanistan (Solitaire) gives you command of a Special Forces team in Afghanistan from 2003 to 2013. Your lead your men on a variety of randomly generated missions; you choose your weapons and equipment, decide on how to posture your team, and plan your approach and method of extraction.

You must choose weapons and equipment that don’t run the risk of quickly exposing your team, and don’t cause unintended escalation. (If the US military must divert regular combat units to your area to quell enemy activity, the value of the Green Berets will be called into question by the traditionalists at the Pentagon.) Your goal is to disrupt the enemy’s freedom of action in your area of operations while creating only a minimal footprint at minimal cost.

Kandahar is a solitaire game in which you assume the role of a Special Forces colonel. The system will generate missions and enemy responses to your unit’s activities.

Each team counter represents about five men, while each commander and officer counter represent one man each. Each enemy combat unit represents various sizes of units, typically platoons.

Each hex on the map represents 200 meters from side to opposite side. Each turn represents anything from hours to days, depending on the tempo of your activities.

Modern War, Issue #21 JAN-FEB 2016

*text from Modern War advertisement

Return to “Modern & War on Terror Era”