Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game

1989-Present (Post Vietnam)

Moderator: Whiterook

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game

Postby Whiterook » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:33 pm

Part boardgame, part card game, and with some miniatures thrown in, this Dan Verssen Games product offers one of the most sought after qualities I personally look for in a game: It can be played solitaire! ....or with up to six players.

warfighter_box_mockup200.jpg
Warfighter
warfighter_box_mockup200.jpg (100.07 KiB) Viewed 743 times

I have been watching from the wings, and this looks like a really cool game! :D It's a complete departure from what I normally play, and given it can be played solo, it is likely just a matter of time until I pull the trigger on this one myself!!!

Playing present day squad-level combat missions, at the start of each mission, you each select a soldier, equip him/her with skills, weapons, and combat gear within the mission's Resource limit. You then fight your way through hostile territory, engaging hostiles, as you attempt to reach and complete your mission objective.

Every mission is a stand-alone game. You build your Soldiers, select your Gear, and then run your mission. Within 30 to 60 minutes you will have succeeded or failed. Warfighter uses a new combat system that takes into account the fire mode you select for your weapon, range, running out of ammo, suppression, and cover - all in the same dice roll!

DVG touts this system as capable of creating an incredibly deep narrative with every attack. As you eliminate hostiles, you gain experience to Upgun your Action cards.

What do you think?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game

Postby Whiterook » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:07 pm

I don't really know a lot about this game but here's what I do know:

You to select a region for the mission, Middle East Desert or South American Jungle....and uses a Tactical Display Sheet (map sheet), which apparently you can use s set of six miniature figures upon; though I would imagine there are possibilities to move beyond this with the use of something like what Scott (josta59) does with his Google maps).

I believe the core system gives you 240 cards, which are the heart of the game. You separate them into eight different piles: Soldiers, Missions, Objectives, Weapons, Equipment, Skills, Hostiles and Actions.

The Mission card will determine how much time your soldiers have to complete the mission, how far away the objective is, how many points you have to equip your team, and any possible restrictions on how much a team member may be equipped with.

You then choose an Objective, which tells you what you have to do, such as seizing a structure, eliminating all hostiles to rescue a hostage.

You then select your Soldiers and arm them with Weapons and Equipment, in which there are portage restrictions (just like the real thing!).

You use the Action cards, in which in every turn, your soldiers are allowed to perform two actions. Actions are: Remove 1 suppress; Attack; play a Location card that has an action cost; Reload; Move; or Discard and Draw new cards. Of course, this is the bones of the game, in my opinion.

Hostiles cards can have anywhere from one to four threats that you might face; which you draw until the value(s) meet or exceed the resource value you spent to assemble and equip your team. Spending more resource points may equate to more hostiles you face. This is only scratching the surface, as there is much I don't know about the game at this point....so take all this with a grain of salt in accuracy.

The game comes with counters, mainly used for administrative purposes...to keep track of things.

Combat entails rolling a d10 to attack the target and, if successful, a d6 to defeat the cover of a target so to achieve a suppression result, or a kill. This is all I Go You Go, between you and the hostiles.

Once you reach the objective the Objective card will have the information you need to get to endgame. The game ends when you complete the objective, the time limit has expired or all of your soldiers are Down.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:08 pm

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:12 pm

So....now that I've put all that down...let's not fool one another: You know I'm going to buy this bad boy! It's all Scott's fault, really.....he had to go and get me interested in Modern Combat. I'll blame all of this on him! (...at least, that's what I am going to tell my wife when the package arrives! :twisted: )

What I'll aim for is the Combo Pack #1

r_box_mockup500-combo_copy.jpg
DVG, Warfighter, Combo Pack #1
r_box_mockup500-combo_copy.jpg (347.92 KiB) Viewed 740 times

Cost: $124.99

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Hey wait, I don't wanna be responsible for no domestic troubles, now!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:58 am

Warfighter is a blast! Every time I played it all the involved gamers were having fun.

It's a game who keeps you on the edge of the seat, it's a cooperative and you can help the other squad members playing card from your hand or expending experience points to "pump up" some card effects.

You are hit by enemy fire? I could play a "suppress fire" card, empty a magazine of my weapon and cancel the attack.
I'm trying to neutralize an enemy sniper on my same area (terrain card)? You can play a "stealth attack" card, pay the "powerup" cost discarding some cards and my attack is an automatic kill...

This game is never a walk in the park and in a few minutes all the players will form a tight group of buddies trying to achieve the mission objective and survive in the process! And without cooperation thee is no way to win....

The game engine is obviously running smooth with only one human player (and other NPC soldiers) but I think it is way too better played with other friends!
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Awesome review, Luca...you are making me want this game even more!!! Do you think it has potential for playing here in the War Room?

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:42 pm

Ooo, good question.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:41 am

Good question indeed!

The game flows smoothly because, when it's the squad's turn, the players are free (and very often it's the smart way to play) to mix their actionsite and play cards to influence the action....

I don't know how much the game is fun with a play-by-forum format...maybe with a online platform....but where?
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:54 pm

Lucky Luke wrote:Good question indeed!

The game flows smoothly because, when it's the squad's turn, the players are free (and very often it's the smart way to play) to mix their actionsite and play cards to influence the action....

I don't know how much the game is fun with a play-by-forum format...maybe with a online platform....but where?

The only way on-line would be skype or perhaps by texting live?

Return to “Modern & War on Terror Era”