Future battles

Moderator: Whiterook

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

DUST - the game

Postby Whiterook » Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 pm

DUST

Oh man, does this game have my attention! And not just because the Art graphics are smoking hot, but because it is a way cool premise. The best way to start this off is with a quote from the designer himself:

"Here we go! Finally the Dream comes true!

The DUST project was born some five years ago as a personal project to be developed in my spare time, and subsequently become a series of products including novels, graphic novels, games, and model kits… It is an alternative or elseworld (what if…) World War 2 Sci-Fi setting, introducing unhistorical events, alien technology, and eventually the supernatural… My main source of inspiration were: Mike Mignola’s masterpiece Hellboy, the fantastic art of Japanese manga and anime Jin-Roh, and my passion for WW2 wargaming and modelling.

A couple of years later, by pure luck I met James Hung and William Yau from Armoury Figures, and subsequently the Miss Meba Team; through the help, encouragement, and support of all these friends, I’m now able to present to you this sourcebook collecting the most significant drawings and stories from the World of Dust.
It’s a great first step to introduce an exciting new range of products for you to enjoy and collect.

Please note that sometimes the artwork will represent a subject inspired from real WW2 uniforms or insigna, so it may contain details or markings that some may find offensive. The inclusion of those insigna or markings is in NO WAY an endorsement or approval of the activities associated with the subject matter at any time or in any manner.

ENJOY!
Paolo Parente"

DUST actually encompasses many products, to include comics and resign model kits, but also a pretty phenominal looking board game! I was in the mall at lunchtime one day, stopping in a retail store to check out surge protectors, and little did I know that I'd need the surge protector against the excitement waves when I peeked in a hobby store next door, and came across the DUST board game. It ran just under $60, and I fear I had not enough funds on me.....three guesses where I am going as soon as I can!?! Anyways, one look at the game and I am hooked!

The game is a strategy board game of conflict and control in an alternate WWII science fiction setting, for 2 to 6 players. Anyone who knows me knows this is just too cruel....combining two of my passions! The box boasts streamlined and elegant play, with a sweeping and epic scope. It comes with:

•Two variant rulebooks, featuring quick=playing "Premium" rules, and grand "Epic" rules.
    •One puzzle-cut gameboard
    •Over 800 plastic figures
    •45 lavishly illustrated cards
    •10 custom Battle Dice
    •25 game tokens
    •3 Player reference sheets

The game pieces consist of 6 sets of army units in six different colors, each including units such as tanks, mechs, fighters, bombers, etc. I haven't seen a game that had me this excited in a long time. It is distributed by Fantasy Flight Games, and can be found on their site, as well as the DUST website at Board & Card Game Paolo Parente’s Dust: The Army Weekly

DUST is a must have for me, and I suspect it may be for others as well!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DUST - the game

Postby Whiterook » Sat May 21, 2011 11:06 pm

From the DUST web site....

"THE WORLD OF DUST
The story so far

1938… Antarctic Ocean… Queen Maud Coast. A lost region that the U-Boat crew had waited months to reach. Operation Schwabenland was one of Nazi Germany’s most secret plans. While Europe and the entire world prepared for an inevitable conflict, Hermann Göring had given a group of men a very special assignment that could give the Reich the ultimate weapon for world domination.

Shortly thereafter, following the vague and unclear rantings of an old Norwegian whaling captain, considered insane, the expedition landed in a hostile territory swept by icy and impetuous winds.

Fighting against every obstacle, maintained only by their political beliefs, the German agents located the site indicated by the insane captain under a huge ice block. In an underground chamber they found a bizarre metallic machine made from the remains of an alien space vessel and, in a cocoon, a body protected by a cryogenic tank, a vaguely human figure… yet alien.

The space-ship had crash-landed on planet Earth many years ago, where the aliens had come looking for precious minerals to power a technology beyond humanity’s imagination: walking war-machines, light-guns, hyper-energy weapons, unimaginable energy and power.

It was the key knowledge for world dominion, but it was still unreachable… The creature first must be woken from its cryogenic slumber. The U-Boat crew loaded the cocoon and most of the machines on board and returned to the Reich. Here, while the winds of war sweep the entire world, in a secret place in the Bavarian Alps, Schloss Adler, the Eagle’s Nest, Goring’s agents, led by Baron Von Thaler, begin their research… The creature was woken and thanks to his prodigious intelligence immediately learned to communicate with humans.

The creature told the Nazis the story of his dying world, forced to send expeditions to far galaxies in search of VK, a precious material capable of immense energy, found under the Antarctic ice.

Grateful for the rescue, the creature revealed the secrets of alien technology to the Nazi scientists. The Nazis spent years secretly developing mining facilities on the Antarctic coast, collecting the precious material and working it, before finally creating human versions of the alien war machines. Outside the secret bases the war continued and by 1944 the insane dreams of glory of the Reich were getting closer to the end, as the Allies landed in Normandy and headed towards Germany.

Their backs against the wall, Göring’s scientists are forced to the limit, and on December 1944, the prodigy that changed the course of human history took place.

New and extremely powerful weapons and war machines were unleashed on the battlefield. The war effort of the Allies broke against the German Ardennes counteroffensive. After thousands of soldiers died, the Allies were definitively stopped before reaching Germany. On the Eastern Front, the newly armed Nazi war machine stopped and then pushed back the Russian advance. In the pacific, the Japanese used the new technologies to reconquer Southeast Asia, and even opened a bridgehead to Australia.

Thus the war ended in an uneasy stalemate, a Cold War that was a mere prelude to new Axis offensives. But in March 1945 a group of allied agents, led by the French undercover agent Raphael “Odin” Guiton, succeed in penetrating the Schloss Adler, and stole vital information about the new German technology and VK, the mysterious mineral that powered the terrible war machines. A new and terrible front opened in the Antarctic for control of the mining sites. The Allies used every means at their disposal to obtain at least part of the deposits, and in an extraordinarily short time, managed to master the principles of the new science.

To better withstand the Reich Superpower, the Allies immediately shared the knowledge of VK with the newly born Sino-Soviet Union. By the beginning of the Fifties the world was divided into three blocks: the Anglo American, the Axis Berlin-Tokyo and the Sino-Soviet Union. Each controlled certain areas of influence, where never-ending covert wars were waged to extend their influence to the areas not yet under their control. Alliances and diplomacy do not preclude the existence of extra official units armed with ever more sophisticated and deadly new weapons.

These are men and women who will stop at nothing to complete their missions.

They fight on the Antarctic ice packs, in the steppes, in the deserts, above and under the sea, in the bowels of the earth, or in secret laboratories.

They are scientists, warriors, mercenaries, partisans, and spies… their world is made of dangers and continuous"

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DUST - the game

Postby Whiterook » Sat May 21, 2011 11:09 pm

DUST Characters!

Sino Soviets

Name: Koshka
Specialties: Hand to Hand combat, Robot piloting, Espionage.
Birthplace: Moscow, Soviet Union

Allies

Name: Joseph, aka “Joe”
Rank: Team Commander of American Special Forces Ranger Squad #2
Specialties: Hand to Hand combat, Robot piloting
Birthplace: Brooklyn, NY

Reich

Rank: Major in charge of all secret operations and experimental research
Specialties: Hand to Hand combat, missile, and rocketry and night vision technologies expert
Birthplace: Hamburg, Germany

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”