BattleTech

Future battles

Moderator: Whiterook

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BattleTech

Postby 50th » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Back in the day I first got into the old Fasa game Star Trek Starship Tactical Combat Simulator game, I used to go to the game store and see all those mech miniatures and drool over them. Finally, I plopped my bucks down and bought the Citytech boxed set, second edition. I've been hooked ever since, although since I've been hooked on Memoir '44, and I've been playing that a lot more. But Battletech was my second love as a game! It is a cool system and I've got free programs that let you design your own mechs and print out the mech sheets.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:16 am

I know that Solaris Skunkwerks is free but Heavy Metal Pro isn't even though If you have the right connection you can get it from friends :P I had both City Tech and the original box set but sadly I found out that my friend in San Jose who had them decided to just junk all my stuff.. :(
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:44 am

Ouch! I still have all my B-tech stuff, but don't get to play as often as I used to. Plus I'm getting married in January. (I'll have to teach the wife how to play then!)
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Well 50th if you want we could also play against each other on the PC. i found this site from the classicbattletech forums called Megamek its a java based game that plays just like the board game!! www.megamek.com

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:56 pm

I downloaded megamek once, I may still have it. I'll check and PM you sometime. (time is more limited now though, remember getting married in January)!

whytwolf

Postby whytwolf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:22 am

Kicking this old thread a bit.

Been playing this game since 1999, actually was my first wargame ever. I have been part of the cadre of playtesters for the last 8 years or so, and am now a Catalyst Demo Agent (I run scenarios and intro games).

I only skimmed the previous posts but a few comments:

1. Forget HMP, even if its free. It is woefully out of date and almost useless. Solaris Skunk Werks is the way to go.
2. Mega-mek is cool if you have the time to sit and play.
3. I found a Vassel module but it was for Battleforce with scaled back stats.

If you live in my area (Whiterook I am looking at you) and are interested in a demo, give me a shout. The game is much cheaper to get into than others like Flames of War since the number of minis needed are far fewer (plus the box set gives you more than you need to get started).

Cheers!

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Ah, found an image of the old game; apparently it was released in 1984, likely, that's when I had my copy.... I remember buying a few extra models, and played it a few times back then....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 pm

My first boxed set was the Citytech 2nd edition, which gave plastic mini's. I have bought many other books and maps over the years. Mine is now setting in the storage area above the basement steps. I have been wanting to go to a convention in June, but I'm not sure yet if I'll get to go. (Married now, other expenses). This game was the one I had seen when it first came out with great interest, but I didn't get it until the above mentioned boxed set came out. My friend had the original and we played it for about six months before I bought my set. Now, I have so many other games, I haven't played it in a couple of years.

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Battledroids was the original name then they changed it to Battletech and then there was Citytech and Aerotech. I prefer this game to any other game out there just because the rules are easier to understand and its got a better campaign type feel to it.

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:26 am

Oh, I agree. I once did a campaign where we had the old aerotech game of the drop ships coming to the planet, with combat between the dropships and aeroships trying to destroy them, and then the next game was after the dropships landed and the mechs emerged and had to tackle the mech forces on the planet. It was very cool! I don't have any pics, I wasn't taking pictures of my games back then the way I do now.

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”