BattleTech

Future battles

Moderator: Whiterook

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: BattleTech

Postby Chrisd » Sun May 01, 2011 1:27 pm

yeah well Frizz they FASA also incorporated Mechs from a lot of Japanese Anime shows as well and some of them were not too pleased either. With the new stuff out from the 25th Anniversary they changed some of the mechs that were taken from the Anime shows.

as you can tell in the above i have started painting :)

this even comes with a painting scheme tip booklet
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun May 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Your images didn't make it. I know what you mean, they now call the older, copied mechs "unseen". I grew used to the older, copied mechs, and my friend that I play B-tech with has a lot of them. Below is one of my "unseen" mechs, and the one that replaced it.

And the one that replaced it:

There are many more examples of "unseen" mechs that were changed because FASA was sued by the creators of those anime shows.

"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun May 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Here is another example of the "unseen" mech. The Classic Griffin as released in the old days of B-tech:

And the newer replacement for the "copied" Griffin:

"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun May 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Chrisd wrote:the new one starts in the year 306? something thats according to what I read on the back of the box. the original and classic started out in 3023 I believe I could be off by 1 year or 10 years :P I know when they did 3050 things changed because of the clans. Oh I can't wait.. and the mini's are unpainted hmmm guess I will have to do some work and hopefully find something I like when I get it.

I believe that should be 3060! I've been on the web site today and looking some things over. Looks good, it's going to get me to pull my old B-tech stuff out of the closet and begin looking it over as if it were new! Thanks for telling me about this!

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Mon May 02, 2011 12:05 am

No problem. However let me explain about the mechs that are seen. Goliath, Scorpion, Griffin, Thunderbolt, Warhammer, Rifleman, Archer and a few others were used originally in Japanese anime. And when some of those mechs were brought over here in the form of Robotech. Which is also a game done by Paladium Battletech was stepping on some toes so they kept the names but changed the mechs around. I too loved the old ones but some of the new ones, I should say newer designs are not that bad.

Time line the rules in the game for introductory, standard, and advanced differ. Introductory use the rules or timeline of 3025. Yet it allows for mechs and weapons described in the technical read out for 3039. The current in time frame is set around 3078-3085. Standard rules are presented in total warfare and its companion construction rules volume Tech Manual. These rules take place from 3039 and latter. The advanced rules will be found in Tactical Operations, Strategic Operations.

My mechwarrior character and current mercenary leader for Hawks Legion was born in 3020. I am going to have to do the whole write up now all over again because I can't find my stuff.. god I hope its San Jose at my friends house still. Not sure why I failed on the pics either :(

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:15 pm

Well I just picked up an unseen Griffin on Ebay. And today I won 3 mechs that were from another seller but all on the same ticket. Unseen Warhammer, Rifleman and Crusader!! I still have two more bids on an unseen Warhammer and Rifleman solo. You can never have enough Warhammer's in my opinion :P I love those mechs. And the unseens look so much better than the newer sculpts that they have. However if you take a look at the 2nd edition box set with the unseen warhammer on the cover as well the current 25th Anniversary box set with the Mech they call Hammerhands (Originally a Star League mech but comes out in the Dark Ages era 3080 something) The mechs are in the same pose and the Hammerhands was the predecessor to the Warhammer. I guess its time to go see if I can access my photobucket account

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:30 pm

I agree that the unseens are much better than the "seen" or "re-seen" sculpts! heck, they are what we "grew up" with. The first mechs I ever saw in a Battletech game were a set of plastic mechs that my best friend has. Most of them are now "unseen" like warhammer, griffin, rifleman, locust, and more. Those were the mechs that we first used in our games. And then, when I started buying the metal minis, they were Goliath, Warhammer, Stinger, Marauder, and more. I don't intend to buy the newer versions. Here is some of my mechs.

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:24 am

actually it wasn't the actual japanese anime companies. They gave FASA permission to use them however the flaw was the companies who owned the rights to the japanese anime to be shown in the US are the ones who did the sueing. I know that somebody is selling 2 complete set of plastic mechs from way back on ebay but the bid is $30.00 and that is too much for plastic. And they are sealed and still on the sprues.

Nice battletech mapset is that from Citytech? I recognize the Marauder and the Mad Cat from the clans it also looks like the Ryoken and the Daishi not sure what the other 2 are. I have to correct myself too The newer Griffin reseen actually looks better than the original. But the Shadowhawk re-seen is just plain comical looking.

I seriously doubt that I will probably get back into FoW as much as I want too with the campaign we have going now of Battletech I am having way too much fun. Forgot how much I have missed this game.

Of the books that I have so far I have Total Warfare to go with the rulebook. Tactical Ops will be the next book I will get to help with the rules. Strat ops is mainly dealing with Aerospace rules though it does have a few things in there that make it interesting regarding Mechs.

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:37 am

How different, if at all is the new version? I first played this back in the 91 with our Battalion Scouts while in the desert during ODS. They also got me into Star Fleet Battles. :lol:

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Not citytech maps, but one of the map sets. There are six city maps that can be put together various ways. This was from a scenario I do at conventions called "City Siege". One of the mechs pictured is an Uller. I have a page in my notebook that duplicates each of the city maps in 81/2 by 11" and they are in page protectors. I then use overhead projector pens to mark damage on each individual buildings. I also have rubble hexes to put down if any of the buildings are reduced to rubble.

"Seen" Shadow Hawk"

Return to “SciFi/Fantasy/What-if”